Football: It’s Tino time for the Panthers

By Kyle Craig

Quarterback controversy is nothing new to the Pitt football team. Last season, critics… Quarterback controversy is nothing new to the Pitt football team. Last season, critics badgered Bill Stull until the senior generated one of the nation’s best quarterback ratings, silencing all of the naysayers.

Now controversy has returned again. This time, the issue is finding Stull’s replacement under center. Redshirt sophomore Tino Sunseri and redshirt junior Pat Bostick are the two candidates, and while the coaches seem to have made their decision, a little debate won’t hurt.

The charge of this particular side of the article is to make the argument for Sunseri to start.

First, consider that “It’s Tino Time” is a pretty catchy slogan that can be tossed around whenever Sunseri takes the field. Not convinced? All right, then consider some legitimate points.

The case for Sunseri over Bostick is an argument for upside over experience. If Sunseri can secure the starting role it would give consistency to the quarterback position for the next three seasons.

Yes, Bostick has a wealth of game experience from the 2007 and 2008 seasons, which includes Pitt’s colossal upset of national championship-bound West Virginia and its defeat of Notre Dame in an overtime thriller.

However, Bostick’s statistics don’t suggest that he carried the Panthers to those victories. Against West Virginia, he only completed 10 passes and threw two interceptions. During Pitt’s victory over the Irish, his one touchdown pass was accompanied by three picks.

In total, Bostick’s career statistics aren’t extremely impressive: 177 for 293, 1770 yards, nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

While Bostick has improved both physically and mechanically, it’s clear from practice that Sunseri has a stronger arm and throws a tighter ball.

Sunseri, a graduate of Pittsburgh Central Catholic High School, isn’t as tall as Bostick, but he’s more mobile and can make plays with his feet if necessary.

Additionally, it should be noted that Sunseri almost stole the starting job away from Stull in summer camp last year. Ultimately, the coaching staff was impressed enough with Sunseri to place him second on the depth chart and to redshirt Bostick.

In limited game action, Sunseri showed glimpses of his potential while going 10 of 17 with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Skeptics might worry about the redshirt sophomore experiencing turbulence when faced with his first portion of meaningful game action. But, Sunseri has a comfortable safety blanket in Heisman-hopeful Dion Lewis, and if the Panther rushing game finds success, it will limit the pressure on Sunseri’s shoulders.

The coaching staff apparently agrees that Sunseri is the top option. Throughout spring camp, he has taken every first-team repetition.

During the Panthers’ first full-contact scrimmage this past Saturday, Sunseri accounted for five touchdowns. He completed 13 of 18 passes, for 129 yards and four touchdowns, while running for an additional score.

If you don’t like statistics, here are some more trivial points: Tino’s father Sal Sunseri was an All-American linebacker at Pitt and his mother, Roxann, was formerly a standout gymnast for the Panthers.

For fans who enjoy parallels, consider that Sunseri attended Pittsburgh Central Catholic, the same high school as Hall of Fame quarterback and Pitt legend Dan Marino.

Ultimately, the deciding factor will be wins and losses on the field. Sunseri is well aware that regardless of whether he’s throwing passes or Bostick is getting the nod, the fate of the team comes first.

“Each of us wants to win football games,” Sunseri said Saturday. “That’s the only thing that matters to the University of Pittsburgh: winning football games and bringing a championship back to Pitt. Whoever is under center, that’s what we want to do.”

Right now, Tino Sunseri presents the best option to win games in the fall, and that is priority number one.