Christensen: Fight off procrastination with some tips

By Caitlyn Christensen

It’s been a long haul this year, through G-20 rioting and blizzards. Exhaustion begins… It’s been a long haul this year, through G-20 rioting and blizzards. Exhaustion begins to set in among a tired student body. As projects and tests accumulate during the last two weeks of the semester, fatigued, work-worn students will inevitably feel the desire to either crack under the pressure or to procrastinate. I present a list of dos and don’ts to help ensure the final days of the year are successful ones.

Don’t become engrossed in a new television series.

You might have been meaning to watch “The Wire” all semester, but now is not the time to get caught up in a riveting plotline. Start watching a notoriously engrossing serial through Netflix on-demand and you may not be able to stop. Last year, I decided to pick up where I left off with “Freaks and Geeks.” Several hours later with a paper deadline looming, I realized I spent the afternoon admiring James Franco’s stringy haircut when I could have read up on the history of U.S. women. In a few days, you’ll have time to catch up on the past seven seasons of “Lost.” Putting it off a little longer will make the reward all the sweeter.

Do reward yourself and allow yourself a few mindless television minutes a day.

Watch a few episodes of a familiar, favorite show. Something along the lines of “Seinfeld” or “Frasier” is probably best — after a handful of brief half-hour episodes, the redundant plotline and galling laugh track will have you wanting to turn back to your work.

Don’t lie out at Schenley Plaza.

That little grassy square beside the Cathedral is where motivation goes to die. With the trees in bloom, the birds singing and the sun finally beginning to beam down again, it’s all too tempting to skip a class or two in favor of good company and tanning oil. Ultimately, the park will only leave you with a bad sunburn and a mountain of work to catch up on. The looming presence of Hillman Library nearby might present enough of a guilt trip to make you retreat to a desk indoors. Someday soon you’ll be able to go to the beach and tan evenly. For now, shelve the sunglasses and crack a book instead.

Do take walks.

There is the danger of good weather bringing out the procrastinator within, but take advantage of some clean, fresh air nevertheless. A quick walk around the corner will leave you feeling refreshed and alert. Plus, exercise increases blood flow to the brain, facilitating concentration and reducing stress levels. So take a jaunt down the street for a quick cup of Rita’s — the sugar boosts energy — and take a 15-minute break. After all, a little sunshine never hurt anyone.

Don’t take trips to Quick Zone.

What’s more tempting: practicing Russian for an oral exam or snagging a Milky Way bar from the ground floor of Towers? Only Stalin could choose Eastern Europe over chocolate. For students living in Towers, Quick Zone offers a range of procrastinating activities — waiting for an elevator, moseying down the steps to Market Central and perusing the candy aisle for the largest Three Musketeers.

Do stock up on snacks at the beginning of the week.

Listen to your mom and make sure they’re healthy ones, too. Foods containing the Vitamins B12, C and E improve memory skills. If energy drinks are your thing, make sure you buy ones containing taurine, an amino acid that aids in information processing and short-term memory. With a well-stocked fridge, half-hour trips to Quick Zone will be less of a temptation.

Don’t let stress take over your life.

Short-term stress impairs the ability of the brain’s synapses to collect and process information, according to ScienceDaily.com. Before stressing, take some time to gather yourself before completely freaking out. Grab dinner with a friend, rest your eyes for a few minutes, paint your fingernails or throw around a basketball. Don’t live in the library, and remember to sleep — you don’t want to get sick during final exams.

Do remember that grades aren’t everything.

Whenever I’m ripping my hair out over test anxiety, my dad likes to remind me that my entire life will be a series of tests — some of which I will pass, some I will fail. While it’s difficult not to roll my eyes at his redundant advice, I know that he is ultimately right. I barely remember the SATs, even though I spent the majority of my senior year suffering heart palpitations from my dismal math scores. After all, I still got into college. Today’s college graduates face a challenging job market, but the most important thing employers want to know is that applicants attended college and have marketable experience. Sometimes GPAs don’t have to be included on a resumé and test scores don’t matter. So don’t worry. You’ll get your diploma somehow and it’ll all be worth it in the end.

E-mail Caitlyn your thoughts at [email protected].