Arts and Sciences courses database down last weekend

By Eva Bugos

The course description database for the School of Arts and Sciences was not working this… The course description database for the School of Arts and Sciences was not working this weekend “for the first time in more than six years since its inception,” said Carlos Sanchez, manager of information systems in the Arts and Sciences dean’s office.

This weekend marked the final few days for students to review available courses before scheduling for the fall term.

The dean’s office in the School of Arts and Sciences manages the database, which includes data from PeopleSoft such as “catalog numbers, titles, class numbers, prerequisites, days, times, rooms, whether or not there is a recitation, number of units/credits, class enrollment limits and special indicators” according to the frequently asked questions page for the program.

Sanchez said that the problem seemed to be caused when a patch was applied to the database. A patch is software meant to update a program or fix a problem, but it might have introduced a new problem to the system. The problem was solved this morning. In the meantime, Sanchez noted that students could still view course information with the Pitt portal — for example, by using PeopleSoft.

The database includes the requirements each class fulfills, as opposed to PeopleSoft, and offers a search-by-requirement option. Additionally, users can search the Arts and Sciences database for classes that count for a special program or for online or Saturday classes in the College of General Studies.