Office of Public Affairs to show documentary on local black newspaper tonight

By Amy Friedenberger

The first public screening of the documentary “Newspaper of Record: The Pittsburgh… The first public screening of the documentary “Newspaper of Record: The Pittsburgh Courier, 1907-1965” will be held at 7 p.m. tonight in rooms 120 and 121 of David Lawrence Hall.

The documentary, a 75-minute film that follows the story of Pittsburgh’s famous black newspaper, was featured in The Pitt News last month.

Chancellor Mark Nordenberg and Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Robert Hill co-hosted the world-premiere screening of the film, presented by the Office of Public Affairs, Feb. 1 at the Twentieth Century Club. The invitation-only event was part of Pitt’s K. Leroy Irvis Black History Month Program for 2010.

“As a graduate of Pitt, it was special to have Pitt present this documentary,” said director and Pitt alumnus Kenneth Love.

Love said he made a few changes to the film after history professor Laurence Glasco’s students, who attended the private screening of the film, said they didn’t understand some aspects of it. For example, Love worked to clarify how the Pittsburgh Courier ended and how its successor, the New Pittsburgh Courier, took over.

The Pittsburgh Courier weekly newspaper, published between 1907 and 1965, served as an outlet for the black community. The newspaper reached a peak circulation of 400,000 and was distributed across 14 cities.

The Courier provided readers with information about issues facing the black community during the civil rights movement, such as Jim Crow laws. One of its most famous campaigns was the “Double V Campaign,” which stood for “Democracy: Victory at Home, Victory Abroad.” The campaign demanded that blacks fighting in the war abroad in World War II win a victory at home by gaining more civil rights.

After a financial collapse in 1965, the newspaper emerged from the ashes as today’s New Pittsburgh Courier.

Pitt alumnus Barbara McNulty-Love — Love’s wife — is the executive producer of the film, which won the Golden Eagle Award for Excellence in visual arts from the Council on International Non-Theatrical Events.

The documentary tells the story through vintage images, narration and several of the newspaper’s former editors and reporters. Those interviewed who are Pitt alums include Frank Bolden, Edna Chappell McKenzie, Earl F. Hord, George E. Barbour, Robert Lavelle, Eric Springer and Vernell Lillie.

Bolden, who used to be Love’s neighbor, suggested that the Loves produce the film.