Editorial: Beverage tax for Pittsburgh could be easier to swallow

By Staff Editorial

Pittsburgh could soon see another drink tax — not on booze this time, but on sugary… Pittsburgh could soon see another drink tax — not on booze this time, but on sugary drinks.

Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl announced his plan earlier this week that would put a 2-cents-per-ounce tax on sugary beverages such as soda, energy drinks, flavored waters and sweetened teas sold at restaurants, stores and vending machines, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Diet sodas and fruit juices wouldn’t be taxed.

It’s not the sweetest of deals for all — any new tax always makes the citizenry cringe. Yet compared to Ravenstahl’s and others’ past proposed and instated taxes, this tax is much more agreeable.

Joanna Doven, Ravenstahl’s spokeswoman, told the Post-Gazette that consumption statistics compiled by Yale University project that Pittsburgh could raise $25 million a year from the tax.

Ravenstahl has proposed more than one egregiously unpopular plan to raise money for the city and help payoff Pittsburgh’s multi-million dollar pension woes. His tuition tax proposed near the end of last year sought to levy a tax on area college students equal to one percent of their tuition. Even for in-state Pitt students, the tax would have amounted to over $100. Local students, educators and administrators protested fiercely until Ravenstahl finally — and rightly — caved. Ravenstahl has also mentioned taxing typically tax-exempt nonprofit groups — another heavily criticized idea.

Pittsburghers were also served with the Allegheny County Drink Tax back in 2008 that originally placed a 10 percent tax on poured alcoholic beverages. Many citizens, especially bar owners, didn’t find it fair and voiced strong objections.

A soda tax won’t leave soda-holics feeling bubbly, and there’s strong opposition from the Pennsylvania Beverage Association. Opponents say it’ll only make groceries and meals annoyingly more expensive. But it’s still a more universal tax compared to the tuition tax or potential tax on non-profits. A tax on sugary drinks isn’t a novel concept — Philadelphia’s mayor is in the midst of planning a potential soda tax. New York state is also considering a soda tax. Perhaps it’s a blossoming trend, but the tax could have a beneficial side effect.

Soda might not be on the same destructive level as alcohol and cigarettes — both of which already have sin taxes affixed — but it’s been shown to contribute to obesity and isn’t nearly as healthy compared to more basic beverages such as water or milk.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine followed 5,000 soda-drinking individuals for 20 years as they moved across the country and purchased soda at different prices. A $1 increase in price of a 2-liter bottle of soda resulted in less consumption, the study found. Specifically, the price raise resulted in 124 fewer calories consumed per day and 2.34 pounds lower bodyweight per year. Now, children also drink more soda than milk.

For as much as we scoff at taxes, such a tax seems the most fair, and could even do some good to our health.