Three Pitt students advance to Campus Superstar final

By Gretchen Andersen

After the applause faded at the Campus Superstar semi-finals, the emcee announced the 10… After the applause faded at the Campus Superstar semi-finals, the emcee announced the 10 talented singers who would advance to the finals. Among them were three of the nine Pitt students who made it to the semi-finals.

Twenty-five local college students, representing Pitt, Carnegie Mellon University and Point Park University, sang contemporary hits and classic love ballads, like the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody” and Stevie Wonder’s “Isn’t She Lovely,” Sunday evening in the William Pitt Union Assembly Room.

The audience members cheered, clapped and whistled to show their support.

Pitt students Rachel Labosky, Tyler Kirkland and Laci Mosley will join Thomas Green and Dez Rhoden of Point Park, as well as Lee Marks, Tess Primack, Luka Glinksy, Olivia Harris, and Kaleigh Cronin of Carnegie Mellon, on March 21 for the finals.

The free event was in an open audition format, which Myers described as an “audition with an audience.”

Each semi-finalist sang a full song with piano in front of a crowd of about 200. Contestants didn’t rehearse with pianist Brian Lee prior to the event, but they were aware that they would sing with piano accompaniment.

Deb Docherty, owner of Docherty Talent Agency, actor Howard Elson and actor and singer Joyce Levinson judged the event.

In November, 156 contestants sang 16 bars a cappella in front of judges.

The Hillel Jewish University Center of Pittsburgh sponsored the fourth annual Campus Superstar contest. Linda Myers, associate director for Hillel, organized the event. She hoped the semi-finals would “build momentum so people get excited about the finals.”

The proceeds from the final performance will benefit the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry and Hillel. Student admission for the final event is $1. Children’s seats will be $25 or $50 depending on seating, and adult admission is $75 or $250 for preferred seating.

At one point during the night, the event’s emcee and last year’s first place runner-up, Lilli Passero, sang a number of her own.

Myers said that by attending the event, audience members would be able to “see talent and go out and support for the finals.”

The final Campus Superstar will be held in the Carnegie Music Hall on March 21 where the finalists will compete for $5,000. Second and third place winners will receive $1,000.