City Charter High School freshman offers his ‘Life Tips’

By Sierra Starks

Previously considered to be an African-American boy with an angry attitude and aggressive… Previously considered to be an African-American boy with an angry attitude and aggressive tendencies, Pittsburgh native Hassan Howze sat down and wrote a book, defying all the stereotypes placed on him.

Howze, who is currently a freshman at Pittsburgh’s City Charter High School, has been through his share of tough experiences. Labeled a “bad” child, Howze found himself frequently removed from summer camp and other school programs.

“There were a lot of people who gave up on him when he was younger,” Howze’s mother, Maisha Howze said. Instead of resorting to medication or alternative schools, Ms. Howze put faith in her son and refused to give up on him as others had .

Along with his mother, there was another person who refused to just label Hassan as “bad” and be done with him: Justin Laing, Hassan’s Capoeira instructor. Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art involving music, dance and martial arts.

Recognizing Laing’s perserverance with her son, Ms. Howze invited Laing, who serves as a program officer for the Heinz Endowment, to write the foreword to Howze’s book, “Life Tips: Everything a Child Should Know.”

“What [Laing] deposited into Hassan’s life was discipline through Capoeira,” Ms. Howze said.

As well as never writing her son off with a stereotype, “he always was also able to see the positive in Hassan and see Hassan as a potential leader,” she said.

Highlighting his leadership abilities, Laing describes Hassan as “extremely bright and clearly ambitious.”

Over two years ago, Hassan found himself in his house, bored.

“I just sat down at the computer and thought of things that happened in my life,” he said. “And I just started typing.”

“Life Tips: Everything a Child Should Know” is all that its title alludes to and more. A section entitled “Parent Tips” marks the beginning of the book, highlighting which chores to attend to first, among other advice. After eight additional chapters of advice, the book concludes with “Money Tips,” in which Hassan simplifies the task of managing money at a young age. This ten-chapter, 28-page how-to publication includes his personal experiences and also brief letters from peers seeking his guidance.

After answering their questions and having his advice published for all to see, Hassan doesn’t call himself an inspirational writer. “My book does inspire people that I’ve talked to in the past, but I wouldn’t give myself that title,” he said.

All the same, Hassan plans to write more books in the future. His next project involves everyone in his life, from past teachers and classmates to more of his own family members. The focus will be the journey to maturity that he is currently taking.

The conclusion of the journey presents itself in Hassan’s “Life Tips.” In a society where youths are seemingly unconcerned about upstanding and moral ways to handle situations, Hassan encourages them to “always do the right thing.”

Ms. Howze’s wish is that her son’s advice sticks with young people everywhere. “I hope it serves as an example that all of our children aren’t doing negative things,” she added.

“[Hassan] took everything that was inside of him and he turned it around into something positive,” Ms. Howze explained.

Though she never reached the roots of her son’s previous angry and aggressive demeanor, she said, his progress has pleased her.. “I think other children should recognize [his progress],” she said. “You don’t have to be the label that people put on you.”

Hassan is already looking forward to his future. He has his eyes set on Pitt for college and plans to play basketball and additionally to “study biology or something having to do with the body.” He also has his own website in the works.

“Life Tips: Everything a Child Should Know” is available for purchase by e-mail through Hassan’s mother, Maisha Howze at [email protected].