Women’s basketball: Scott leads Pitt to victory over Villanova

By Greg Trietley

For the first time in two months, the Panthers are on a win streak.

Five players scored… For the first time in two months, the Panthers are on a win streak.

Five players scored double-digits for Pitt as it defeated the Villanova Wildcats, 74-69, Wednesday evening for its second consecutive victory.

Pitt held off a late Villanova charge that closed the deficit from 18 points to as little as two to earn the win. The Panthers last won consecutive games in December, when they defeated Austin Peay and Western Kentucky.

Guard Shayla Scott led all Panthers with 18 points. Scott had a double-double, also recording 11 assists.

Scott helped Pitt dominate the boards against the Wildcats as the Panthers out-rebounded Villanova, 45-31. Forward Chelsea Cole pulled down a team-high 16. She, too, had a double-double, adding 15 points.

Taneisha Harrison notched 13 points, while Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson had 12 and Brittaney Thomas had 12 more off the bench as the Panthers improved to 3-9 in the Big East and 14-11 overall.

Villanova, meanwhile, drops into a tie for last in the conference at 1-11. The loss to Pitt also drops the Wildcats below .500 overall, 12-13.

Pitt never trailed in the game, as it opened the contest on a 17-4 run. The team did not miss a 3-pointer in the first half, nailing all four of their attempts.

Redshirt freshman Laura Sweeney came off the Villanova bench and made the game interesting late, as her 20 points spurred on the Wildcats and helped them close the gap to 67-65 with 1:52 to go — the closest Villanova ever came to leading.

On the verge of a late collapse, Pitt coach Agnus Berenato called a timeout to calm her team. Jania Sims then knocked down her only field goal of the game to put the Wildcats away for good.

Turnovers again hurt the Panthers, as they committed 16 to the Wildcats’ 10, but their offensive performance — the most points in a victory since the Western Kentucky game — was too much for Villanova.

Pitt returns home to face Big East cellar dweller Seton Hall Saturday afternoon at 2 pm. The Pirates have lost 12 of their last 13 games.