Psychologists, students discuss Seasonal Affective Disorder

By Amy Friedenberger

Ben Kendall keeps his blinds closed throughout the day so that no sunlight — not even a… Ben Kendall keeps his blinds closed throughout the day so that no sunlight — not even a tiny bit — can peek into his room.

He dislikes having to look out the window to see gray, dreary skies and piles of snow, but he tries to open his blinds when the sun is out.

Kendall, a Pitt student, is one of many people who psychologically experience the effects of the current Pittsburgh weather. For many people, the sight of a winter wonderland is picturesque. It means snowball fights and snow angels.

However, for 14 million people living in the United States, the gray skies and short days could spark the onset of seasonal depression — clinically known as seasonal affective disorder, or SAD. With 3 to 6 inches of snow in the forecast for today, the winter onslaught doesn’t appear to be ending anytime soon.

While Kendall said he doesn’t have the disorder, he said he is less energetic and more sluggish during winter. He runs a lot when it is warm and sunnier, but instead of running during the winter, he keeps himself closed up in his dim, comfortable dorm room, huddled under blankets.

“I find myself wanting to sleep in the beginning, middle and end of the day,” Kendall said. “Sometimes I’ll want to go to bed by seven o’clock.”

Going beyond the “winter blues”

An estimated 5 to 7 percent of the population has SAD. Another 15 percent experience a mild form of it, Pitt psychology professor Kathryn Roecklein said.

SAD is not just the “winter blues.” It is a form of depression that occurs around the same time each year, typically beginning in October or November and subsiding around March or April.

Roecklein said that like most forms of depression, SAD occurs more frequently in women than men, though the reasons for this are uncertain. The average age of onset is 22.

The symptoms of SAD resemble those of regular depression. They include depression, decreased interest in activities once found enjoyable, carbohydrate cravings, increased appetite, hypersomnia, lack of energy and social withdrawal.

Roecklein said contrary to popular belief, the snow and cold are not factors that cause SAD — the exact cause remains unknown. However, if someone dislikes the snow and cold, it can contribute to more depressed feelings.

Research indicates that genetic, environmental and psychological factors cause SAD, she said. SAD can also occur when levels of serotonin, dopamine or norepinephrine become unbalanced. Wellbutrin is an aminoketone which helps to block the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine so that more remains in the space between the brain’s nerve cells, giving the chemicals a better chance of activating the receptors on the next nerve cell. This prescription drug helps to fight the depression so prominent in those suffering from SAD.

Roecklein researches melanopsin genes that might explain why SAD patients are less sensitive to light. The melanopsin gene encodes a light-sensitive protein found in photoreceptors in the retina. This is linked to many non-visual responses, such as the control of circadian rhythms, the control of hormones, the mediation of alertness and the regulation of sleep.

She said the constantly cloudy sky of Pittsburgh can have an impact on those experiencing SAD. Pittsburgh averages about 200 cloudy days a year, according to the National Climactic Data Center. The disorder also becomes more common in increasing northern latitudes.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a manual published by the American Psychiatric Association, describes SAD not as a separate mood disorder but as a “specifier.” This refers to the seasonal pattern of major depressive episodes that can occur within major depressive and bipolar disorders. To be diagnosed with the disorder, a set of criteria must be met that is listed in the statistical manual.

A person must have experienced depression and other symptoms for at least two consecutive years and during the same season each year. The periods of depression must have been followed by periods without depression and seasonal major depressive episodes must clearly outnumber nonseasonal episodes over the person’s lifetime. Although continuous treatment can help alleviate the disorder, some people could have it throughout their lives.

Roecklein said cognitive factors, such as dreading the winter conditions, can also contribute to SAD.

Pitt student Candice DeNardi said she wouldn’t be surprised if she had SAD.

“The gray skies, lack of sun … starts to affect me,” DeNardi said, adding that the sun doesn’t make it much better because the snow turns to dirty slush.

DeNardi feels drowsy around this time of year, which affects her ability to focus in school.

She tries to find more sunshine whenever it’s available. In addition to trying to soak in sun in front of the large windows at the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs library, DeNardi walks to classes to be more active while in search of the sun.

She has recently started attending the Therapy Dog Tuesdays in the Cathedral, which she finds makes her happier.

DeNardi is looking forward to experiencing more than one day of sun when she travels to Costa Rica for spring break.

“Light therapy” serves as SAD treatment

There are several forms of treatment for SAD. One of which is having some exposure to the natural sunlight on any occasion where it appears.

Students could be heard cheering on campus while coming out of Towers patio when they woke up to find the sun beaming last Friday for the first time in several days. Kendall said his mood improved that day.

“I don’t know if it was the sun or if I was just having a good day, but I’m pretty sure the sun was a contributing factor to me feeling good that day,” Kendall said.

Light therapy is the first line of treatment. The person with SAD will sit near the light therapy box — with a UV shield — which gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light.

If light therapy proves unsuccessful, medications such as prescription Wellbutrin might help depressive episodes in people with a history of SAD. Exercising regularly to relieve the stress and anxiety that can contribute to SAD symptoms can also work as a remedy, according to the Mayo Clinic’s website. This is often difficult, however, because exercise requires people who are already lethargic to step out from the confines of their walls.

For those with anticipatory feelings that contribute to symptoms of SAD, psychotherapy is yet another option. It can help identify negative thoughts and behaviors that make the individual feel worse and provide coping skills to manage stress.

Those experiencing the symptoms of SAD are encouraged to make an appointment with a healthcare professional. The Pitt Counseling Center, which is staffed by psychologists, counselors, social workers, a psychiatrist and pre-doctoral interns, provides personal counseling.