Layton: TV vs. film showdown

By Kieran Layton

In the pop culture universe, fierce showdowns plague aficionados of entertainment daily: Gaga… In the pop culture universe, fierce showdowns plague aficionados of entertainment daily: Gaga vs. Britney, Twitter vs. Facebook, “Rock of Love” vs. “Flavor of Love,” Gawker.com vs. … Well, I guess that has already been decided.

Still, one matchup persistently sparks debate, and no clear victor is in sight — television vs. film.

Especially within the past five years, the rivalry has become so heated not even Aristotle or Perez Hilton could philosophize a proper answer.

Sure, watching a movie provides the viewer with a visceral and intense — if short-lived — thrill. Sitting in a dark theater with a tub of popcorn and a Diet Pepsi, watching the latest action blockbuster or critically acclaimed drama, is something we have all done — and certainly all cherished.

But then, it ends. A 100-minute burst of indulgence loses its luster almost immediately after you walk out of the theater.

Enter television: People have been tuning in since the boob tube became a staple of households everywhere around the ’50s, but it is only now that we can truly see the effects great television can have on us and our theories of entertainment.

Since the golden age of premium cable struck the United States in the early years of the 21st century, and more so when accessible cable shows began spiking in quality, many have denounced the medium of film in favor of the easier and more couch-friendly form of entertainment.

Gone are the mindless sitcoms and terrible crime dramas — series with production values, writing and acting quality to rival many Hollywood productions have taken over.

Consider shows like “Lost,” “Desperate Housewives,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and basically any premium cable series. One can argue about how good they actually are, but those series have unparalleled value as mass entertainment products.

There is something incredibly fulfilling about having a favorite television show — one that you have watched since episode one. You follow it week after week, checking its progress and growth, making sure nothing bad happens. It’s an experience akin to watching over a child you wish were yours but isn’t.

Of course, there’s the notion that you shouldn’t have to choose between the two. Surely you can love “Big Love” and enjoy “A Serious Man” on equal levels, right? I’m not convinced.

It seems impossible to appreciate a medium of entertainment that lays everything out in one dose and a medium that requires patience and weekly dedication equally.

Yet many continue to try, myself included.

Perhaps such a stark contrast between film and television appreciation shouldn’t exist, but as ticket prices continue to rise and commercials seem to become longer and less amusing, one answer to the question of film vs. television emerges: DVD.

Now excuse me. I just got “The Hurt Locker” and disc one of the first season of “Dexter” through Netflix. I will try to enjoy both in equal measure.