Pitt counseling center offers advice to cope

By Erin Block

The news of the Pitt student Alexa Marie Eplett’s death grieved the community and… The news of the Pitt student Alexa Marie Eplett’s death grieved the community and brought the issue of depression to the foreground.

James Cox, director of Pitt’s Counseling Center, responded quickly to the news.

“We don’t wait. We go and seek [those in need of help] out,” he said.

The Counseling Center hosted three workshops at Lothrop Hall in the days following her death, Cox said. Counselors were placed in the residence hall the day of the incident and remained at the students’ disposal ever since, at the request of the resident assistant.

The center contacted Eplett’s family and friends as soon as its workers found out about her death, Cox said. The center provides individual services for Pitt students.

“All we can do is learn how to prevent this from happening again,” Cox said. “We have to be aware.”

How to cope

Stay connected to friends and family. Many people find it helpful to talk with others about what happened, but even those who prefer not to talk can find comfort in being with loved ones.

Take care of yourself. Eat well, get enough exercise and sleep. Do activities you enjoy or find relaxing.

Don’t make big life-changing decisions for several months.

Take time to grieve. Traumatic events often leave us with a sense of loss.

Do something positive to help others. For example, give blood, donate food or volunteer.

What to do if you’re contemplating suicide

Call the Pitt Counseling Center to make an appointment. Talk to somebody. Ask a Pitt counselor to come to your apartment. Go to the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 1-(877) 624-4100, for a diagnostic evaluation center if you are planning to act. If you’re having suicidal thoughts but are not going to act call the Counseling Center.

Where to turn?

University Counseling Center: (412) 648-7930, www.counseling.pitt.edu

Call the Counseling Center. It provides services for students Monday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. A 24-hour on-call person is also available after hours. The campus police, (412)-624-2121, can transfer you to the counselor.

Pittsburgh Suicide and Crisis Hotline: (412) 820-HELP. This hotline is meant for students and non-students alike.

Resolve Crisis Network (UPMC affiliate): (888) 796-8226.

The network is a 24-hour crisis center. It has a mobile team and a walk-in center. It is primarily for non-students or students who don’t want to go to Pitt’s Counseling Center.

The Pitt Counseling Center encourages students to use any and all services.

“We are a resource at the University. If people want help, there is help available,” Cox said.