Wrestling: Panthers look to remain undefeated all-time against Eastern Michigan

By Greg Trietley

Pitt’s wrestling program dates back nearly 100 years, and the Panthers have handled few teams… Pitt’s wrestling program dates back nearly 100 years, and the Panthers have handled few teams better on the mat than the Eastern Michigan Eagles.

The Eagles are one of just six programs against which Pitt holds an undefeated record of 5-0 or better all-time, and the Panthers will look to maintain perfection when the two squads meet in the Fitzgerald Field House this Saturday starting at 10 a.m.

Waynesburg and Columbia will also square off against the No. 21 Panthers (6-1-1) in the weekend tussle.

Eastern Michigan hasn’t wrestled since a 17th place finish in the Reno Tournament of Champions on Dec. 20, but the Eagles face Seton Hill in Greensburg, Pa. tonight before traveling west for tomorrow’s event.

Eastern Michigan stands 3-3-1 on the season. Freshman Mike LeHolm leads the team with 14 wins, and Phillip Joseph, another true freshman, sits tied for second on the Eagles with 12.

Youth has played an equally important role for Pitt. Freshman Anthony Zanetta placed in the Midlands Championships Dec. 30, and the Eastern Wrestling League named the 125-pound Pittsburgh native wrestler of the week on Dec. 14.

While Eastern Michigan lost to Pitt in its last meet, a 22-16 defeat in 2005, the Eagles play well in Steel City. Their last trip to Pittsburgh brought the team victories over Wagner College, 52-0, and Duquesne, 30-12, on Feb. 10, 2007. Eastern Michigan holds a 3-2 road record overall this season.

Waynesburg (4-3), conversely, historically presents a struggle for the Panthers. The small college 60 miles outside of Pittsburgh holds a 5-7 all-time record against Pitt. Despite the small distance between the schools, though, the two teams haven’t met since 1987.

While Pitt’s Zanetta won his league’s wrestler of the week last month, Yellow Jackets freshman Alex Crown won Waynesburg Male Athlete of the Week this week. And like Zanetta, Crown wrestles in the 125-pound class.

Meanwhile, Saturday marks the first-ever meeting between Columbia and Pitt. Columbia wrestling formed in 1903, but the Ivy League school has yet to face the Panthers.

Sophomores Jonathan Weibel, in the 174-pound weight class, and Kyle Gilchrist, in the 125-pound bracket, pace the Lions (2-2-1) with 13 wins apiece.

After Saturday’s quad match, Pitt will have nearly a week in town to rest up before it takes on Lock Haven Friday night at the Fitzgerald Field House, starting conference play for the Panthers.