Swimming: Lucas earns Big East honors

By Jay Huerbin

Following a record-breaking performance in a meet this past weekend, sophomore Jake Lucas was… Following a record-breaking performance in a meet this past weekend, sophomore Jake Lucas was named the Big East swimming and diving male athlete of the week. It was the first conference award for Lucas, who is enjoying a good season this year.

Lucas placed first in four events during Pitt’s dual meet at West Virginia on Saturday. He won the 100-meter freestyle and 100-meter fly by times of 45.12 and 50.14 seconds, respectively. His performance in the 100-meter freestyle set a new WVU Natatorium poll record, breaking the previous record of 45.23 seconds set in 2002 by former Panther Mike Grube.

With his success in both events, Lucas qualified for the Big East and Intercollegiate Assocaition of Amateaur Athletes of America Championships.

Lucas’ other first-place finishes came as a member of Pitt’s relay teams. He was the lead leg of the 400-meter freestyle relay and helped the Panthers win the event with a 3:04.97 time. Lucas swam the event in 46.54 seconds.

In the 200-meter medley relay, he was the third leg as Pitt finished in 1:32.24. Lucas swam a 22.13 in the relay.

Last semester, Lucas broke another record formerly held by a Panther. In Pitt’s annual Blue-Gold meet, Lucas set a new 100-meter freestyle time after finishing in 46.01 seconds on Oct. 9.

The Panthers women’s team hosts Maryland, Penn State and Villanova in a two-day meet at Trees Pool, starting this Friday.

Lucas and the men’s team will next see action when the face cross-town rival Duquesne on Jan. 23.