Layton: Actress drama

By Kieran Layton

This year, Sandra Bullock (best known for her work as a butch-cop-turned-beauty-queen in “Miss… This year, Sandra Bullock (best known for her work as a butch-cop-turned-beauty-queen in “Miss Congeniality”) was the best actress in a dramatic role because she bleached her hair and struggled through a Texan accent — at least according to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

Once again, the Golden Globes proved to viewers that not only should the HFPA reevaluate its position as a group of critics of quality and talent, but it should probably stop giving out those garish globes altogether.

Sure, the Golden Globes have a long-standing tradition of being the “fun awards show,” but I find nothing enjoyable about watching seriously talented actresses Carey Mulligan and Gabby Sidibe have their stellar performances in “An Education” and “Precious,” respectively, overlooked in favor of a mainstream joke of an actress.

The Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama category was not the only laughably tragic slight during the show. “The Hangover,” while a very funny film, beat out rom-com innovator “(500) Days of Summer” and critical Meryl Streep darlings “It’s Complicated” and “Julie & Julia.”

Jeff Bridges beat Oscar front-runners George Clooney and Colin Firth for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama. Toni Collette robbed the Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical from the more deserving Edie Falco (“Nurse Jackie”) and Tina Fey (“30 Rock”).

And though I love Chloe Sevigny in “Big Love,” Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester on “Glee” is a role perfectly tailored to her — that she didn’t win is absurd.

Of course, I am probably getting too worked up over something that many — especially Academy Awards voters — never take too seriously. However, it’s disheartening to see what is arguably the second most popular awards show miss the opportunity to place the most deserving performers, films and television shows as front-runners for the Oscars and — down the road — the Emmys.

It wasn’t all bad, though. My fanboy self was giddy over James Cameron receiving the Best Director award for the thrill ride that is “Avatar,” even if his acceptance speech was a little smarmy. And “Glee” winning Best Television Series – Comedy or Musical made me want to jump for joy and burst into my own rendition of “Don’t Stop Believing.”

Ricky Gervais hosted the event, and while I suppose he was adequate, I was disappointed by his performance in addition to the actual award winners. Seriously, Jay Leno/Conan O’Brian jokes were old before the controversy surrounding them ven started.

Next year, I vow not to go into the show with any real expectations. At its best, the Globes are just an excuse to watch celebrities get drunk and feel self-important, even if they don’t deserve to.

Sandra Bullock, that means you.