Men’s Basketball: Panthers prepare for Georgetown’s unique offense

By Greg Trietley

Picked to finish ninth in the Big East in the preseason coaches’ poll, the Pitt men’s… Picked to finish ninth in the Big East in the preseason coaches’ poll, the Pitt men’s basketball team rose to No. 9 in the nation on Monday after nail-biting wins over Connecticut and Louisville. However, Panthers guard Ashton Gibbs said being in the Top 25 doesn’t matter. “We’re not worried about rankings,” Gibbs said. “We’re worried about getting wins.” What does matter to Gibbs and his teammates are the No. 12 Georgetown Hoyas (13-3, 4-2 Big East), who roll into the Petersen Events Center tonight. The rankings show Pitt’s improvement from the start of the season, Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said, a start that included tight games against Wofford and Duquesne. “It’s a good run,” Gibbs said. “Everybody in that locker room knows what he can do. We really have confidence in each other.” According to Dixon, Gibbs has helped Pitt (15-2, 5-0 Big East) to its undefeated in-conference start, averaging 20 points per Big East contest and playing almost the entirety of every game. The sophomore averages 35.1 minutes per game, the fourth-highest total of any player in the Big East. “He doesn’t look tired out there,” Dixon said. “He seems to get stronger as the game goes on. He still defends well.” Gibbs viewed the playing time as an opportunity to show what he has. “I’ve been fine,” Gibbs said. “A lot of ice baths.” Pitt handled Connecticut’s transition offense and Syracuse’s 3-point shooting, but Georgetown presents an offensive scheme unlike anything the Panthers have seen. “They’re so unique in how they play,” Dixon said. “You never quite feel totally comfortable with what they do.” Gibbs agreed with Dixon, noting the Hoyas’ proclivity for screens and backdoor passes. “They’re a tough team to guard,” Gibbs said. “They can shoot the ball, so we got to contest shots as well. It’s going to be tough for us.” Statistically, tonight’s game unites the two youngest teams in the conference, but the senior-deprived Hoyas still have plenty of experience. Junior guards Austin Freeman and Chris Wright, sophomore guard Jason Clark and sophomore forward Greg Monroe all see plenty of playing time as Georgetown coach John Thompson III keeps a short bench. “Those four guys have played a lot of minutes from day one,” Dixon said. “Their starting five is as good as anybody in the country.” Freeman leads all Hoyas with 15.9 points per game. Dixon said that the third-year starter has improved since his seven-point performance in Georgetown’s 70-54 loss to Pitt last January. “Freeman’s gotten better off the dribble and playing without the ball,” Dixon said. “He’s always been a good shooter.” Gibbs noted that although Freeman has the ability to knock down shots, the Georgetown offense still revolves around the versatile Monroe, who can play underneath the basket as a center or handle the ball on the perimeter. “Monroe will play two different spots for them,” Dixon said. “He’s got an unbelievable skill set for a guy his size. … He was the best player in the country coming out of high school, so he’s no secret.” The 6-foot-11 sophomore Monroe racks up 14.9 points, 10 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game. “That’s what makes Monroe so unique: his ability to get other guys shots,” Dixon said. “He’s a really great passer for a guy his size.” One person who will have to guard Monroe is fellow highly touted recruit Dante Taylor, who continues to grow in his first year as a Panther. His play against Georgetown, Dixon said, will go a long way toward ensuring Pitt’s ninth straight victory. “He continues to improve,” Dixon said. “He’s really a good defender for a freshman, which is really something that is rare, especially for a big guy.” Dixon also praised Nasir Robinson, but for more than his career-high 26 points against the Cardinals. While Robinson received a lot of press for his Louisville double-double, Dixon appreciated his solid play against Connecticut earlier in the week just as much. “He’s been valuable in other games without the scoring,” Dixon said. “It was on the defensive end and the rebounding, but he really played well.” Pitt gives up a Big East-low of 59.1 points per game. Georgetown enters Wednesday’s game off an 82-77 loss to No. 4 Villanova on Sunday. All three Hoyas losses have been by five points or less. Meanwhile, Pitt’s comeback against Louisville helped improve the Panthers to 5-0 in Big East play for the third time in school history. They have never started 6-0. The win also preserved Pitt’s 31-game home winning streak. The team hasn’t lost at home since a 75-73 Louisville win on Feb. 24, 2008. Gibbs noted that the fans have helped guide Pitt to wins at home. “The fan support is unbelievable out here, especially the Oakland Zoo,” Gibbs said. “It’s been fun.”