Cold Cave comes close but misses

By Liz Keeney

Cold Cave

Love Come Close

Matador Records

Rocks like: The National

Grade: C+

If you long… Cold Cave

Love Come Close

Matador Records

Rocks like: The National

Grade: C+

If you long for the days when Morrissey and Robert Smith were cool and black, swishy bangs were all the rage, then get ready to dust off your eyeliner and red lipstick and give the latest release, Love Come Close, from techno band Cold Cave a listen.

If none of the above appeals to you, don’t bother.

Cold Cave, the brainchild of former hardcore rocker Wesley Eisold, is a techno pop group, reminiscent of ’80s bands such as The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen and the synth-heavy Human League — only not as good.

Twenty years ago, Eisold and company would have been called innovative for their mix of synthesizers, guitar and percussion. Nowadays, Cold Cave leaves listeners with nothing more than a headache similar to one from radio feedback.

Maybe this is an exaggeration. Songs where Eisold sings lead vocals are, for the most part, not half bad. He has an interesting voice, similar to Echo & the Bunnymen frontman Ian McCulloch, especially on title track “Love Comes Close.”

Unfortunately, most songs featuring female vocalist Caralee McElroy, such as the opening track “Cebe and Me,” sound annoying, almost grating. Her voice isn’t bad, but synthesizers overshadow it.

The best songs sound the most basic, such as “Love Comes Close” and “Heaven Was Full,” while the rest — to the untrained ear — sounds like melodic static.

Though it has some high points, Love Come Close does nothing more than remind listeners of music they like a lot more.