‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’ a charming adaptation of Dahl story

By Patrick Wagner

“Fantastic Mr. Fox”

Staring: George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bill Murray

Directed by: Wes Anderson

Studio: Twentieth Century Fox

Grade: B+

What makes animation so captivating? You can go on about the stylistic choices or the technology that is supposedly “revolutionizing the industry”, but when it comes down to it, it’s the captivating storytelling employed by a great animated film that turns something animated into something truly special.

In “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” director Wes Anderson (“The Royal Tenenbaums,” “The Darjeeling Limited”) created a film that doesn’t simply adhere to the mold of what stop-motion animation has done in the past but moves forward with a unique vision that isn’t just another one of those “animated kid movies.”

The film tells the Roald Dahl tale of Mr. Fox (George Clooney) and his attempts to simultaneously move away and back toward his former life of stealing chickens, ducks and cider from “the three meanest farmers in the valley.” As you can probably assume, when the aging Mr. Fox steals too many of all three, calamity ensues, and Mr. Fox finds himself in the situation of having to save the rest of the local animal population.

Perhaps channeling famed animator Don Bluth, the movie’s narrative isn’t really that of a kids’ film in the traditional sense. The characters are cute and children will enjoy the bludgingly building adventures of Ash (Jason Schwartzman) and Kristofferson (Eric Chase Anderson). When it comes down to what’s going on, though, there’s as much adult conflict and strife — for example, Mr. Fox’s troubles adjusting to older age — as there is mirth and adventure. Without talking down to children or up to adults, the film entertains both in a manner that is rarely pulled off so well.

The voice actors offer tremendous performances that are truly fantastic — forgive the pun — with Meryl Streep’s performance as Mrs. Fox being some of the most emotive voice in recent animated films. These aren’t just big-name actors lending their voices to an animated project. They each perform with vocal expression. incorporating themselves into Mr. Fox’s world. The results are captivating.

Along with the actors’ performances, the animation work is also superb. The environments look like Wallace and Gromit done by the production designers from The Royal Tenenbaums, which isn’t actually too far off. Hair is bristly, liquids flow, and although it’s animation, the detail is so exquisite that one might even be surprised to see these features in a live-action movie. Movement, although limited by the animation style, is fun and exciting, and the dance moves of the whole animal clan could make anyone smile.

Anderson’s musical selection remains eclectic and oddly coherent: From an original folk song by Jarvis Cocker (who also plays the role of Petey in the film) to Anderson’s traditional inclusion of a Rolling Stones song (here it’s “Street Fighting Man”). It all adds beautifully to the narrative and helps bring both Anderson and Dahl’s worlds to life.

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” is one of the best animated films in recent memory to be realeased. As an animated film, it probably won’t get a lot of attention when awards season comes around, but rest assured, it’s well worth your time to live “the life fantastic.”