Women’s basketball: After win against Western Michigan, No. 15 Pitt hosts Valparaiso

By Torie Wytiaz

In previous games, the No. 15 Pitt women’s basketball team has had individual players take… In previous games, the No. 15 Pitt women’s basketball team has had individual players take control on the court. But in Saturday’s contest against Western Michigan, five individuals finished with double-digit point totals.

Shayla Scott led the team with 16 points, while Chelsea Cole, Taneisha Harrison, Jania Sims and Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson contributed more than 10 points each in the 89-65 win.

Pitt coach Agnus Berenato was pleased withsaid the overall team effort in the Panther’s victory.

“This was a fabulous team win for us,” Berenato said. “Whenever we can have so many players scoring for us, it is definitely a good thing.”

Pitt was able to hold a lead throughout the entire game, a feat Berenato credited to outstanding defensive play.

“I feel that our defense came into the game with great intensity,” she said. “They were really able to impose their will on the Western Michigan offense.”

The Panthers remain undefeated with a 7-0 record, but both coaches and players recognize weaknesses that need to be addressed.

Berenato said the rebounding efforts were disappointing, despite the fact that Pitt out-rebounded Western Michigan 39-38.

“Rebounding was an issue in this game,” Berenato said. “With our strong defensive play, we need to capitalize off the boards. On the offensive side, we need to set better screens and then utilize them.”

Harrison, a junior guard, also said the team is a work in progress, but the coaches have a plan for success.

“We have to work hard and keep working hard in practice,” Harrison said, “and keep doing what the coaches tell us to do. That will make us better.”

The Panthers will have their next opportunity to improve when they host Valparaiso (3-3) of the Horizon Conference Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center.

This contest holds a special interest for fifth-year Pitt assistant coach Caroline McCombs, who spent six seasons with the Valparaiso team in both the coaching and recruiting departments.

Berenato said she anticipated this matchup since the release of the schedule.

“We really want to get this win for [McCombs], as we take on her old team,” Berenato said. “This is a big game for all of us, and we want to show our appreciation for McCombs.”