Mayor Bentkowski gives celebrities ‘Power’ through proclamations

By Natalie Bell

David Bentkowski absolutely, without a doubt, downright loves Seven Hills, Ohio. Ask him and… David Bentkowski absolutely, without a doubt, downright loves Seven Hills, Ohio. Ask him and he’ll tell you in great detail.

“I love my city so much … Nobody moves, everybody knows each other, everybody loves it there, we have great services, it’s a beautiful community, nice houses, totally safe, great kind of close knit families,” Bentkowski said.

Seven Hills is the kind of town where the opening day of the local little league brings out 1,000 people. Bentkowski estimates that over 40 percent of its residents have lived in their houses for more than 25 years and describes the area as having a “small-town America feel.”

Bentkowski loved Seven Hills so much that he became the youngest mayor in Ohio history in 2003. Before that, he had been elected city councilman. It was during this time that he went to dinners and events and saw mayors doling out proclamations to people, which Bentkowski explain are “just words on paper … just some nice words.”

But Bentkowski noticed people were always excited to receive these proclamations, and it gave him an idea: By giving proclamations to celebrities, he could get publicity for his much-adored city. In his book, “The Power of the Proclamation,” he talks about how giving proclamations to celebrities is like giving candy to children — they love them.

“I mean, the whole joke is that I realize, ‘Who cares what I have to proclaim?’ I’m just a small-town mayor, but I thought it was a pretty novel gimmick to promote my city,” Bentkowski said.

“The Power of the Proclamation” details Bentkowski’s encounters with various celebrities, of which he estimates he’s had 75 to 100. From Justin Timberlake, who he describes as “the nicest celebrity I’ve ever met,” to Flea, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who’s camp instructed Bentkowski: “Don’t approach him, he’ll approach you when he’s ready.”

Not only has this project, which Bentkowski worked on during his personal time, publicized his town, it has reaped other benefits for Seven Hills. Bands and artists like the Waterband and Rachel Roberts have played in the town’s summer festival. Celebrities have also signed and donated articles to auctioned for charity, as most are willing to do favors for the young mayor and the city he cares about.

“I could literally call Omarosa or Greg Fitzsimmons or Nely Galan or some of these people to come emcee the Seven Hills pageant, and they would,” Bentkowski said.

But he doesn’t like to overuse this privilege, explaining that he’s become dear friends with some of these famous individuals. One of his best friends from his experiences is Omarosa of “The Apprentice” fame, who helped Bentkowski publish his book. He gushes that she is one of the nicest people he knows, despite the harsh character she seemed to portray on the show.

In the future, Bentkowski plans to continue handing out proclamations. He keeps spouting ideas to help his city, such as renting out city buildings so celebrities can enjoy an uninterrupted private day with their friends and families. Plans for a new book are in the works about ideas that other towns and cities are implementing. All this work is certainly attracting notice and getting Seven Hills the attention Bentkowski hoped it would.

“It gives me a chance to talk about how great my town is,” he said. “I mean, most people haven’t heard of Seven Hills, but now when I’m doing interviews or I’m out promoting, people ask me about my town, and I get to say how great it is.”