Football: Bye week should benefit Berry

By Kyle Craig

Berry and the Bye

When senior cornerback Aaron Berry left Saturday’s game against Notre… Berry and the Bye

When senior cornerback Aaron Berry left Saturday’s game against Notre Dame with 2:59 left in the third quarter, it didn’t take long before his presence was missed.

As Berry watched from the sideline with a sling around his injured right shoulder, the Irish passing attack started to roll. Notre Dame’s two subsequent offensive possessions resulted in touchdowns.

While the Panthers held on for a 27-22 victory, Berry’s importance to the defense was revealed.

During his Big East teleconference on Monday, coach Dave Wannstedt said he is hopeful that Berry will be back in the lineup when the No. 9 Panthers travel to Morgantown to battle West Virginia on Nov. 27.

“[Berry] was fine yesterday. He is sore. I would just say that he’ll be day-to-day. It is not a season-ending injury or anything,” Wannstedt said. “He banged [his shoulder] up, and we’re optimistic that he’ll be back for West Virginia.”

Fortunately for the Pitt defense, the upcoming bye week presents an opportunity for Berry to get healthy or for the Panthers to prepare for his absence.

“The bye week will benefit a kid like Aaron Berry,” Wannstedt said.

In 2008, Berry was selected to the all-Big East Second Team. This year, he has accounted for 25 tackles, one interception and six pass breakups.

With Berry out of the game, Pitt turned to redshirt junior Ricky Gary, who also left the field with an injury, and then sophomore Antwuan Reed to fill the empty cornerback position.

According to Wannstedt, the critical game time that Reed and Gary spent on the field will benefit them down the road, especially considering that they were defending against Golden Tate and Michael Floyd.

“It was a learning experience for those kids to be on the field in that situation, playing against some great players,” Wannstedt said.

Baldwin Breaking Out

Jonathan Baldwin made a number of dazzling catches on Saturday night that introduced the sophomore receiver to a national audience.

Baldwin finished with five catches for 142 yards and one touchdown. On Monday, the Aliquippa, Pa. native was named the Big East Offensive Player of the Week.

For Wannstedt, Saturday’s performance was another step in the evolution of Baldwin into a well-rounded receiver.

“Jonathan is becoming a more complete player — whether he’s getting the ball or not getting the ball, [whether] it’s run or it’s pass,” Wannstedt said.

Wannstedt noted that Baldwin isn’t only beneficial to the deep passing game anymore. He has improved his run-blocking and added a number of routes to his repertoire.

“He’s learning the game. He’s maturing as a person. I can’t wait to see him a year or two from now. I think he’s only going to get better.” Wannstedt said.

Through 10 games, Baldwin has 40 receptions for 840 yards and five touchdowns. During his freshman campaign, he totaled 18 receptions for 404 yards and three touchdowns.