Pitt professor earns achievement award for child care

By Tara Nair

Karen VanderVen helped children long before she earned a lifetime achievement award for her work… Karen VanderVen helped children long before she earned a lifetime achievement award for her work in child care.

“I had a younger sibling to take care of, and I had jobs as a day camp counselor, lifeguard and swimming instructor,” she said.

After teaching Pitt students for more than 40 years, she’s earned a lifetime achievement award for her work in the field.

VanderVen, whose award comes from the Academy of Child & Youth Care Professionals, said the study of child and youth care has grown over the years to adapt to people’s changing lifestyles.

“There is a great need, especially now, for prepared staff in early childhood programs who are well-paid,” VanderVen said. “Good quality programs with warm, nurturing, stable and consistent care are not always easy to provide.”

VanderVen said children’s prime needs include harmonious relationships with teachers and child care workers, challenging activities, play opportunities and physical activity during a school day.

“They need acceptance and inclusion in a peer group. Bullying is a big concern today,” VanderVen said.

VanderVen received a doctorate from Pitt’s School of Education in 1975. She began teaching at Pitt in 1968 and is now a professor of psychology in education. She has taught courses about play and activity for children in youth, program design and evaluation, professional leadership and core of child and youth work.

In addition to teaching, VanderVen has participated in curriculum design for people in training. She is involved with professional organizations that promote child well-being such as the Association for Child & Youth Care Practice, an organization of groups devoted to improving child care, and the International Federation of Educative Communities.

VanderVen has two grown children of her own who both work in higher education.

Although she does not work directly with children right now, VanderVen has experience working in various children’s programs, preschools, residential institutions and psychiatric treatment centers over the years.

“It was challenging work, but very interesting. It made you want to do whatever you could to help the children develop,” VanderVen said.

VanderVen said she finds her work very rewarding.

“Oh, believe me, I wouldn’t have stayed with it this long if I didn’t,” she said.

Her interest peaked when working with children with developmental problems.

“I learned that they respond especially well when you expect a lot from them and help them to meet their goals. Children like it when you have expectations,” VanderVen said.

Prior to joining Pitt’s faculty, VanderVen also worked with adults in a variety of settings, including community mental health programs.

VanderVen has written more than 200 columns, chapters, articles and books. Her second book, “Promoting Positive Development in Early Childhood,” came out last December. She also worked on a collaborative book published by the University of Pittsburgh Press, “Child Care Work with Emotionally Disturbed Children.”

While the lifetime achievement award honored her career so far, she is still on the path to learning more about child and youth care.

Her schedule on a typical academic day ranges from preparing lessons and attending meetings with colleagues and students to working on proposals for the department or articles for a research journal.

Later this month, VanderVen will be part of a presentation for the National Association for the Education of Young Children in Washington, D.C.

She also said the study of applied developmental psychology is being offered in more universities. This increase in study programs within the field is the first step toward improving the quality of child care and creating healthy environments for children outside the home.