SGB gives voting reminder, discusses tuition tax

By Erin Block

Student Government Board is urging students to vote tomorrow not just on candidates, but also on… Student Government Board is urging students to vote tomorrow not just on candidates, but also on grammatical changes to the group’s constitution.

SGB president Kevin Morrison asked students to approve the revision changes so the Board could make the document more professional.

“We have spelling mistakes and have ‘which’ instead of ‘that,’” Morrison said. “There’s no subjective change.”

Students can look online and learn about the proposed changes, he said.

Morrison did stress that students are not voting on giving the SGB president the right to appointment committee chairs.

“That has already been voted on,” Morrison said. “It’s in our bylaws.”

Students can vote on my.pitt.edu from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. tomorrow.

Morrison,along with Nick Trainer — a member of the government relations committee — is working to lobby what he called Mayor Luke Ravenstahl’s “unfair share tax.”

SGB is asking students to attend City Council meetings, which are held almost every Tuesday at 10 a.m. on the fifth floor of the City-County Building, Downtown.

Morrison and Trainer will attend the upcoming Tuesday meeting to ask council members to reject Ravenstahl’s tax proposal.

“We really need a strong presence because we need to show that this is not something that Pitt students want,” Morrison said.

SGB Notes

Pittsburgh Intercollegiate Snowboard Team was denied $3,200 for transportation to a resort in Vermont.

SGB denied the Cadet Groups’ allocation request for $1,399.99, saying the group would use the money outside the scope of what SGB normally funds.

Engineers without Borders was approved $1,280 and denied $980 of its allocations request to attend a national conference in Denver, Colo.

Zisha was approved $1,556.02 and denied $713.98 of its allocations request for materials and transportation to a competitive dance competition.