Football: Ravenstahl declares Friday “Turn it Blue Day”

By Jay Huerbin

In anticipation of Pitt’s upcoming matchup against Notre Dame, Pittsburgh mayor Luke… In anticipation of Pitt’s upcoming matchup against Notre Dame, Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl declared Friday “Turn it Blue Day” in Pittsburgh.

The Panthers, ranked No. 8 by the Associated Press and No. 12 in the BCS standings, will host the Fighting Irish in a primetime game to be broadcast on ABC. Kickoff for the game is set for 8 p.m. on Saturday. The Panthers’ 8-1 start to the season is their best since 1982 when quarterback Dan Marino led a team that also started 8-1.

Before Pitt’s Homecoming game against South Florida Oct. 24, Pitt’s athletic department used a similar “Turn it Blue” promotion as a sign of school spirit. Like the athletic department’s promotion, fans are encouraged to wear Pitt blue on Friday and also wear their blue to Heinz Field on Saturday.

Considering the mayor’s campaign to get the city excited about Pitt football, the team has high expectations for fan support Saturday night.

“The city of Pittsburgh loves its football, and we are looking forward to a great crowd Saturday night when we play Notre Dame,” Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said. “I know our city’s Pitt pride will be on display throughout the weekend as we play one of our biggest games of the year.”

Following the Notre Dame game, Pitt will have its second bye week of the season. Its next game will be against rival West Virginia in Morgantown on Nov. 27.