Students strive for stardom in campus competition

By By Sam Stahl

Move over, Adam Lambert. Campus Superstar has returned to Pittsburgh.

The annual singing competition and fundraiser for the Hillel Jewish University Center brings the “American Idol” experience to Pittsburgh’s college crowd.

But Linda Myers, the associate director of Hillel and the producer of Campus Superstar, said the judges look “for people that are really talented. It’s not like ‘American Idol’ where they want people they can make fun of. They want actual talent.”

The three days of initial auditions happened last week — one at Carnegie Mellon University, Pitt and Point Park University.

Judges will select 25 of the students who auditioned to compete in the semifinals Feb. 21.

Only 10 will compete in the finals March 21, when the first-prize winner will receive $5,000.

The panel of judges for the first round and semifinals of Campus Superstar consists of locals involved in acting and singing who are not affiliated with any of the universities.

So what does it take to become the ’Burgh’s next big thing?

“The song [that] performers choose is key, especially in the final because it’s an audience vote,” Myers said. “That’s why we have a rule about no original or opera music. People want something they can recognize.”

Campus Superstar began in Pittsburgh in 2007.

“We have a building to support, and we always do a fundraiser,” Myers said. “We didn’t want to have a lecture. We didn’t want to do something obligatory. We wanted to do something fun — and this is. The focus is on the students and showing that we’re here for them. They have the opportunity to be creative.”

One such creative student, Pitt freshman Trey Draude, performed The Beatles’ “With A Little Help From My Friends.”

He said other than warming up, he did little to prepare and that his decision to try out was mostly made on a whim.

“I’m a novice, though I was Captain Hook in a high school musical,” he said.

Draude said he loves singing, despite the nerves that come with performing on stage.

“I just keep telling myself I’m doing this for fun,” he said. “If you’re not having fun, then why do it?”

Nick Jovonovich, a freshman at Duquesne, sang Josh Groban’s “You’re Still You.”

A member of the Duquesne University Tamburitzans, an Eastern European folk music ensemble, Jovonovich is no stranger to the stage.

“I don’t really get nervous since I’ve been performing for 15 years. I’m doing this to get some recognition,” he said. “I have bets with friends about it. They want me to try out for ‘American Idol’ after graduation.”

Pitt sophomore Larissa Briley performed Ella Fitzgerald’s “Someone To Watch Over Me” because “it was an easy song to sing a cappella and I really love it.

“I’m always a little nervous,” she said, “but this is structured well. It’s really laid-back. I’m listening to classical music and just trying not to freak out.”

As president of the Musical Theater Club, Briley oversees an upcoming variety show and organizes lectures for club members.

She said Campus Superstar gives her the opportunity to take center stage, but Briley doesn’t limit herself.

“I just auditioned for an opportunity to sing. I guess I’ll get through life if I’m not the Campus Superstar,” Briley said with a hint of sarcasm.

Monica Ziemski, a sophomore at Duquesne, performed Taylor Swift’s “White Horse.”

Ziemski said she adopted country twang when she performed.

“I don’t even know where it came from. I’m from Pittsburgh. It’s a really emotional song, and I can sing it well because, like a lot of girls, I personally can relate to it,” she said.

Her heart is in the right place. She said she wants “to win Campus Superstar so I can help my parents out. They spend lots of money on me.”

To relax before auditions, Ziemski focuses on the basics.

“I breathe and drink lots of water,” she said.

Allison Routch, a Pitt senior who made it to the top 10 last year, offered advice to potential contenders.

“Just sing out. Pick a song that shows off your range. Don’t just settle for something you’re comfortable with. Have fun. Don’t be embarrassed about getting into it on stage. That can be hard for people who aren’t used to it. Go into this like you don’t have anything to lose,” she said.