SGB presidential candidates discuss apathy, religion, campaign strategy

By Caitlyn Christensen

For the second and final time, SGB presidential candidates Charlie Shull and Justin Romeo… For the second and final time, SGB presidential candidates Charlie Shull and Justin Romeo formally debated last night.

They discussed topics ranging from what they called a lack of interest in Student Government Board to religion and campaign techniques.

Shull said he thinks students have shown a lack of interest in SGB when it’s running smoothly and professionally.

“It has been identified as apathy, but I don’t think it is apathy,” Shull said.

Romeo said he thinks the Board could increase interest by becoming more transparent, adding that it might try holding debates in more public locations, such as Towers Lobby.

“It’s important that students feel involved, that they know they will not be shut out,” he said.

Shull agreed that increased student involvement is an important issue, one he believes could be resolved by holding an open forum for student organizations.

Robin Lane, political action chair of the Campus Women’s Organization, said she went to the debate because she fears that Romeo’s anti-abortion beliefs would hurt her group’s chances of getting money from SGB.

Although Lane did not get an opportunity to ask her question, the candidates addressed her issues during the debate.

Shull asked Romeo about his Christian background and its effect on his relationships with the Rainbow Alliance, Black Action Society and other diverse student organizations.

“Tolerance is a two-way street,” Romeo said. “I think it’s important to work to find a common ground.”

He said he has communicated with the Rainbow Alliance, Black Action Society and other organizations through e-mail.

In response, Shull said, “Students want to know situations in which people endorsed them.”

Romeo asked Shull if his candidacy is “just another stop on the tour.” Shull. a current SGB member, serves as Interfraternity Council president. He is a former business manager for Pitt Mock Trial.

In retort, Shull called Romeo a “candidate of convenience,” running for president so that students would have a choice in the election.

Romeo recognized that he ran at “the 11th hour,” but said he hoped he would bring honest, open leadership to the presidential position.

The 30- to 40-minute debate took place in Room 837 of the William Pitt Union last night.

SGB elections committee chair Sarah Heisey and judicial committee Andrew Yarnall moderated the debate.