Women’s basketball: No. 24 Panthers overcome slow start to beat Appalachia State

By Torie Wytiaz

The struggling Appalachian State Mountaineers (1-3) gave the No.24 Panthers (4-0) a challenge in… The struggling Appalachian State Mountaineers (1-3) gave the No.24 Panthers (4-0) a challenge in the first round of their Thanksgiving Tournament.

Appalachian State dominated in the first half, especially in its inside game. By out-rebounding the Panthers, the Mountaineers scored 14 points in the paint, while Pitt netted just eight points. The mid-way score favored Appalachian State, 30-29.

While Pitt expected an offensive spark in the second half, Appalachian State held the lead until there were under three minutes left to play.

With two minutes and 23 seconds remaining in the game, Pitt’s Jania Sims gave the Panthers a 58-56 lead, which Appalachian State could not take away. The final score was 63-56, much to the relief of Pitt coach Agnus Berenato.

“The game was a little too close,” she said. “I’m really excited that we won. We weathered the storm.”

Sims ended the game with 16 points and a team-high six assists, while Shayla Scott led the Panthers with her career-high 17 points.

“Shayla Scott had her first double-double of the year,” Berenato said. “I thought she did really well and it was a great move to put her in at the four [position].”

Chelsea Cole, consistently in the four position for the Panthers this season, moved to the five position and was replaced by Scott. The decision to move Cole was based on the speed of Appalachian State.

“Appalachian State was a little quicker than us in the five spot so we made the switch,” Berenato said. “[Cole] can contain like a guard and has been in this position for us in the last week of practice during drills.”

Ashlan Dewart and Catherine Williams led Appalachian State with 16 and 14 points, respectively, while Anna Freeman secured a game-high 10 rebounds.

Pitt will meet Marshall University in the Thanksgiving Tournament championship tomorrow at 6 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center, after the 4pm consolation game between Appalachian State and Miami (Ohio).