Men’s Basketball: Fans get first look at newcomers in Blue-Gold game

By Adam Littman

Of all the men’s basketball players making their Panther debuts in last night’s Blue-Gold… Of all the men’s basketball players making their Panther debuts in last night’s Blue-Gold game, none were more impressive than Chase Adams.

Adams, who is in his first year at Pitt after transferring from Centenary College in Louisiana, led all scorers in the intrasquad scrimmage with 21 points. The senior guard isn’t just known for his defense, though. He was the Summit League’s Defensive Player of the year in 2008.

“I’m trying to establish myself as an offensive player, as well,” Adams said. “Coach [Dixon] has been telling me to shoot if I’m open.”

Adams went 8-of-11, including 5-of-7 from 3-point range. He also dished out three assists for the Blue team, which won 56-53.

“[Offense] is an underrated aspect of his game,” guard Ashton Gibbs said.

Joining him on the Blue squad were Travon Woodall —who led all players with eight assists — Lamar Patterson and Talib Zanna. On Gold were Gibbs, Nasir Robinson, Nick Rivers and Brad Wanamaker. Dante Taylor, Gary McGhee and J.J. Richardson played for both teams. Dwight Miller didn’t play because of illness, and Jermaine Dixon and Tim Frye were out with injuries.

“We’re a little undermanned right now,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said.

Along with Adams, freshmen Patterson, Zanna, Taylor and Richardson appeared in their first games as Panthers. Woodall, a redshirt freshman, played in just 10 games last season before suffering an injury that cut his season short.

“Execution of plays was good considering we have so many new guys,” Dixon said.

Wanamaker led the Gold team with 19 points, and Gibbs followed closely behind with 17. Robinson added 11 and tied with Wanamaker for a team-high six rebounds.

The Panthers first exhibition game is Nov. 1 against Slippery Rock at the Petersen Events Center at 4 p.m. If things keep going as well as they have through Pitt’s first 10 practices, Dixon expects to see a better team.

“I’m really encouraged by the improvement from practice one to practice 10,” he said.