Football: Pair of roommates scoring touchdowns, winning football games

By Kyle Craig

Two roommates, two underwhelming college careers and one season to perform to their potential… Two roommates, two underwhelming college careers and one season to perform to their potential and leave their mark. A new reality show? No. Rather, it’s the unfolding story of Pitt quarterback Bill Stull and tight end Dorin Dickerson.

After Pitt’s 24-21 comeback victory over Connecticut on Saturday, the seniors were a big reason the Panthers won their first two Big East games and improved to a 5-1 record overall.

With the Panthers trailing by eight points and time ticking down in the fourth quarter, Stull and Dickerson connected on a 27-yard touchdown pass that propelled Pitt to victory Saturday.

The catch was Dickerson’s seventh touchdown of the season, so it wasn’t the first time the roommates have linked up during a critical situation.

In Pitt’s first Big East game against Louisville, Dickerson caught a deflected pass in the end zone to tie the game in the first quarter, and was later on the end of a 37-yard strike to take the lead in the second half.

Stull said that the chemistry he and Dickerson have on the field is a product of their friendship and familiarity off of it.

“I always say it helps to have him in the room right next to me every day,” Stull said. “We’ve been friends for a very long time. We’ve always had that type of connection. Now it’s just getting the opportunity to [make plays] on the field. We’ve had a lot of opportunities, and we’ve capitalized on almost every opportunity.”

For Dickerson, who caught more than half of Stull’s touchdown passes this season, the work the two teammates did the entire offseason is another factor in their success.

“Even in the offseason, we’d be working together on the field, so it’s kind of natural to us now,” he said. “It’s just nice to go out there and actually do it — make plays in a game and in tough situations.”

This season, Stull and Dickerson’s numbers are almost eye-popping. Stull amassed 1,256 yards through the air with a 66.7 completion percentage. More impressive are Stull’s 13 touchdown passes against three interceptions — he finished last season with nine touchdowns and 10 picks.

Dickerson has been one of Stull’s favorite targets so far this season. Through six games, Dickerson has 21 receptions for 232 yards. His seven touchdown receptions tie for first nationally.

But things haven’t always been so wonderful for Stull and Dickerson.

The scrutiny that Stull was under coming into the season has been well documented. A poor reception from a collection of home fans only focused the microscope more acutely on the quarterback.

Throughout the early-season criticism of Stull, Dickerson always believed in his roommate’s ability to get the job done.

“I’ve always had confidence in Bill, he’s like one of my best friends,” Dickerson said. “He’s doing a great job. He’s come out and trusted in his teammates and [relied] on his friends. It’s just great to see him doing well.”

Dickerson is no stranger to criticism either, as his college journey is a bit stranger.

After being one of the nation’s most highly recruited players coming out of high school, Dickerson struggled with injuries and bounced around between running back and wide receiver his first season at Pitt.

As a sophomore, Dickerson was moved to outside linebacker where he failed to make an impact.

Finally, last season, Pitt moved Dickerson to tight end. Yet, his disappointing numbers — 174 yards and two touchdowns on 13 receptions — left some wondering whether or not he would ever fulfill his potential.

Now Dickerson, like Stull, is silencing skeptics by putting up big numbers and creating matchup problems for opposing defensive coordinators. Stull told reporters that Dickerson’s athleticism makes him a tough player to contain.

“Knowing the type of person [Dickerson] is really helps me know what to expect out of him and what not to expect out of him,” Stull said. “I don’t think you can ask him to do anything that he can’t do physically, just because he’s such a great athlete … that’s why he can do anything and everything.”

Dickerson minimized his own performance in favor of the fate of the team.

“It’s nice to catch touchdowns, but as long as we win, I’m good with that,” Dickerson said after the Louisville game. “There’s nothing better than winning. I want to go out a champion.”

The Panthers took their second step toward Dickerson’s championship aspirations by coming back from a 15-point deficit to beat a conference opponent last Saturday.

Under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, Stull and Dickerson are thriving during their senior seasons. For head coach Dave Wannstedt, their progress has been both as players and as people.

“[Stull] has been focused, he has maintained that focus all year. He’s accomplished a lot. He’s grown up a lot as a football player, and, I believe, as a man,” Wannstedt said of his quarterback.

The coach had similar praise for Dickerson, who is finally getting an opportunity to spend a second consecutive season at one position.

“You talk about Bill Stull growing up as a player and as a man, Dorin has done the same thing. You’ve got to give him credit,” Wannstedt said.

So far the roommate connection has been a productive one for Wannstedt’s offense. If Stull and Dickerson continue to link up on the field, the Pitt offense, which was downplayed the entire offseason, could prove to be the most explosive in the conference.