Campusfood.com offers convenience to students, complications for local eateries

By Jocelyn Meehan

It’s 1 a.m., and you have the munchies, but you dropped your phone in the toilet last night because you were … studying … too hard.

But don’t worry, because even though you’re desperate, phone-less and starving, there’s a solution for you — Campusfood.com. Hopefully you’re not too hungry, though, because the delivery time is allegedly as fast as a speedboat — on land.

And maybe your favorite Oakland restaurant doesn’t use the service at all.

Campusfood.com is an accessible way for Pitt students to scan an extensive online menu of local eateries without leaving their computers. Yet what exactly is Campusfood.com, and how does the site work?

“Campusfood.com is a virtual food court,” Rob Saunders, a Campusfood.com employee, said.

The site is an online marketing system for restaurants that allows the customer to navigate easily through local menus, he said. More than 3,500 students on Pitt’s main campus order from Campusfood.com every month.

“I use it because it’s more convenient and easier than calling. Especially with the crime rate rising in Oakland, I feel safer ordering it at home on the computer rather than walking,” Nicole Cioffi, a Pitt junior, said.

While it’s convenient, Campusfood.com still raises questions of quality and speed — the Internet might actually slow things down with the inevitable technology problems.

“Overall, I’ve had a positive experience with the site; however, there have been a few glitches with some of my orders — like one time the fax machine at a restaurant didn’t work, and my order never went through,” Cioffi said.

Campusfood.com serves as the middleman, taking orders from users and sending them to the restaurant. However, if the fax machine at the receiving end is causing problems, like in Cioffi’s case, Campusfood.com isn’t responsible.

Cioffi explained that after she contacted the site about her missing order, they sent her an e-mail explaining that they aren’t responsible for problems on the restaurant’s end.

Chelsea Meenan, a Pitt junior, claimed the inconsistencies in the service dissuade her from using the website entirely.

“I would rather call because it’s faster, and I like my food spicy, which calls for special instructions,” Meenan said. “I don’t think the ‘special instruction’ box is ever communicated correctly on Campusfood.com. My food is never spicy enough.

“Although, from a business perspective, I think Campusfood.com is a good idea because it serves as a central location for menus, which ultimately branches out to a wider customer base,” Meenan said.

Saunders said that restaurants choose to publicize their products through Campusfood.com. His company charges restaurants a monthly fee of $19.99 to cover menu changes and also takes out a percentage of each order the restaurant makes.

Muhammad Issa, the owner of Leena’s, which, according to a sign outside the restaurant, is home of the “World’s Greatest Gyro,” said that Campusfood.com is not an ideal service for his business.

“They charge me a 25% tax on every order, and I also pay a monthly fee of $10,” Issa said. “It takes too long to get delivered through Campusfood.com. I’d rather people come here, and see the man behind the food.” Issa said with a smile.

In some students’ experiences, ordering through Campusfood.com seems to take longer than if they had simply placed a phone order.

“I don’t know why it takes so long when I order from Campusfood.com,” Meenan said.

Saunders said that the restaurant can make its own deliveries, but if they don’t, Campusfood.com offers a pick-up service.

Some restaurants, however, choose not to publicize through or use Campusfood.com at all.

“We don’t have the capacity to handle it,” Rhonda Abraham, the owner of Antoon’s Pizza, said. The restaurant is open until 3 a.m. from Thursday through Saturday, but if you call before that and don’t get through, it’s not because Antoon’s is closed — it’s because the phone is off the hook.

“Friday and Saturday nights are too crazy here. Sometimes we need to take the phone off the hook,” Abraham said.

Abraham said that an Internet ordering site would be too much — “It’s just too crazy.”