Football: Comeback Complete: Pitt Downs Connecticut, 24-21

By Ben Duignan

The Panthers completed the largest comeback win ever under head coach Dave Wannstedt, taking… The Panthers completed the largest comeback win ever under head coach Dave Wannstedt, taking down Big East rival Connecticut, 24-21.

Pitt trailed 21-6 in the third quarter before the offense came alive with a revamped running game behind freshman running backs Dion Lewis and Ray Graham.

The rushing attack was virtually non-existent in the first half, as Pitt ran the ball just ten times for 55 yards.

In the third quarter, Lewis came alive. The freshman carried the ball for 104 yards in the third quarter alone, including big plays of 21 and 33 yards. Graham also posted 53 yards on the ground for Pitt.

The Panthers acknowledged that the success of the running attack was the key to victory.

“When you have two great running backs it really opens things up,” sophomore wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin said, who finished with a career-high eight receptions. “You can’t just be one dimensional, so with [Graham and Lewis] being able to run, it takes a lot of pressure off the passing game.”

Senior tight end Nate Byham knew how important it was to get the running game going late in the game.

“Late in the game, it was a gut check for us,” Byham said. “We had to look ourselves in the eye and say we have to be able to run the ball or the game is over.”

Behind an outstanding effort from the Panthers offensive line, Lewis and Graham turned it up a notch. The Panthers passing attack soon followed suit.

Senior quarterback Bill Stull had a shaky first half in which he tossed two interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown.

“Obviously I didn’t want to have the interception returned for a touchdown,” Stull said. “But we battled back and put some great drives together.”

Stull overcame that disappointing first half and was nearly perfect on three touchdown drives in the final 30 minutes.

Wannstedt knew that Stull had to overcome his mistakes and lead his team to victory.

“You have to give Bill Stull credit,” Wannstedt said. “He didn’t play his best game—you can’t turn the ball over—but he battled back.”

While Stull was able to turn it around, the senior thinks it was a complete team effort that sparked the comeback for Pitt.

“Today was just one of those days where we knew we had to battle and it was all on team effort,” Stull said.

Wannstedt agreed that the team as a whole showed great character in the in the win.

“Our players gave great effort,” Wannstedt said. “Our kids didn’t come close to quitting. They stayed together as a team—nobody came unglued.”

Nate Byham knew that the team had to do whatever it took to win this game and remain undefeated in Big East play.

“We had to face adversity and we pushed on,” he said. “We were tired and we were in pain, but we kept fighting and we made plays.”

With the win, the Panthers moved to 5-1, and are now 2-0 in the Big East. Pitt will play at Rutgers on Thursday night.