Football: Safety DeCicco named Big East defensive player of the week

By Jay Huerbin

Junior strong safety Dom DeCicco was named Big East defensive player of the week after his… Junior strong safety Dom DeCicco was named Big East defensive player of the week after his performance in No. 15 Pitt’s 41-14 win over South Florida on Saturday.

DeCicco finished the game with a team-leading 10 tackles and made several stops as part of the Panthers’ run defense.

It was his second 10-tackle game of the season, as he made seven solo and three assist tackles against Rutgers on Oct. 16.

Before Saturday, the Bulls averaged 407.3 yards and 33.7 points per game. The Panthers’ defense held South Florida to 212 yards and 14 points, which included a late-game touchdown when the score was 41-7.

With the win, the Panthers improved to 7-1 overall — their best start since 1982 — and 4-0 in the Big East.

DeCicco’s defensive success comes as no surprise. He leads the team with 62 tackles and two interceptions, and his 7.8 tackles per game ranks seventh in the Big East.

Eight weeks into the season, the Panthers rank in the top 30 in four categories: first in sacks (33), 21st in rushing defense (102.13 yards/game), 24th in scoring defense (18.0 points/game) and 26th in total defense (314.13 yards/game).

The Panthers have a bye this weekend and will resume the final quarter of their schedule when they host Syracuse at Heinz Field on Nov. 7. Kickoff for the conference game is set for noon.