Women’s Soccer: Panthers split weekend games filled with overtime

By Torie Wytiaz

In two Big East games this weekend, the women’s soccer team played three overtime periods… In two Big East games this weekend, the women’s soccer team played three overtime periods resulting in a win against DePaul on Friday and a double overtime tie with Notre Dame on Sunday.

Pitt had abundant scoring chances in the victory over DePaul (7-5-2, 2-3-0 Big East), but the goalkeeping allowed the Panthers (6-2-4, 1-0-4 Big East) to hold off Notre Dame (8-3-1, 4-0-1 Big East).

Pitt 2, DePaul 1

Head coach Sue-Moy Chin said she saw the difference between the team’s first victory in the Big East and the ties in its three other conference games.

“We were able to create scoring chances for ourselves and then finish them with goals,” Chin said.

After the first half of play, Pitt faced a 1-0 deficit, but junior Liz Carroll scored on a penalty kick to tie the game in the 69th minute.

In overtime, freshman Ashley Cuba secured the victory with her team-leading seventh goal of the season, assisted by junior Rebecca Fraser.

Pitt 0, Notre Dame 0, double overtime

In a game dominated by scoring chances for Notre Dame, eight saves from senior goalkeeper Alison Finch kept Pitt competitive through two overtime periods.

Chin offered praise for Finch and her senior leadership, saying, “She had a great game [and] the entire team was proud of her.”

Notre Dame out-shot Pitt 25-7 throughout the game, but Chin said she believes Pitt had its chances, as well, especially after regulation play.

“Our midfield was excellent, and in the first overtime, we had some great opportunities,” Chin said. “We had three corner kicks and one shot was deflected out of the goal.”

The Panthers look to regain their offensive power on Oct. 9, as they host St. John’s¸ another undefeated Big East rival.