SGB: Chancellor put ad in newspaper after G-20 Summit conversation

By Erin Block

The Student Government Board president said the advertisement Pitt’s chancellor put in the… The Student Government Board president said the advertisement Pitt’s chancellor put in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is a sign of his positive reaction to a conversation they had about the G-20 Summit.

SGB president Kevin Morrison met with Chancellor Mark Nordenberg after the G-20 Summit to discuss where the undergraduate students fit into the University. At last night’s meeting, Morrison said the discussion focused on the “misconception that undergraduates are lost in the mix.”

“The chancellor, the provost and the rest of the staff do work very hard to make sure undergraduates are recognized and noted for their accomplishments,” Morrison said.

He said Nordenberg’s ad, which was published Monday, thanked all students for participating in Pitt Make a Difference Day.

SGB postponed University of Pittsburgh Television’s allocations request for $1,260 because they said there might be someone with unauthorized access to the UPTV office.

Lewis Lehe, on behalf of UPTV, said a UPTV hard drive crashed. He said there were three long-term projects on the hard drive, and the club needed money to recover the data.

Morrison questioned Lehe and said, “It came to our attention that you have students with unauthorized access to your office because of a key that went missing some time ago.”

Lehe said that he was sure the unauthorized student was not involved in the hard drive crashing and does not want that to influence the allocations request.

Morrison said that the issue of the missing key does relate to the allocations request for UPTV, because unauthorized individuals shouldn’t have access to UPTV office space or equipment.

After discussion, the Board voted to postpone the request, and UPTV can resubmit its request starting Nov. 8.

SGB Notes:

-The Board approved the allocations committees’ recommendation for $1,769.65 of the $1,789.30 Students Taking Action Now: Darfur requested to transport and house new members at an anti-genocide conference.

-The Board granted the African Student Organization $390.64 of $650.64 requested to approve traditional African foods to be served as an event in collaboration with raising AIDS and HIV awareness.

-Pitt’s Mixed Martial Arts organization received $1,162 of $3,000 requested to continue training with police officer Curtis Smith.

-Panther Judo Club approved $97.21 out of $960 requested for the Panther Judo Club to attend a competition.

-Delta Sigma Pi’s request for $3,827.08 to send new members to a conference was denied in full.

-The Board denied the Asian Student Alliance’s request for $2,150 in full.

Editor’s note: Lewis Lehe is a columnist for The Pitt News.