Pitt students seek counseling after G-20 disturbances

By Caitlyn Christensen

Some students have begun visiting the University’s Counseling Center for help coping with the… Some students have begun visiting the University’s Counseling Center for help coping with the aftermath of Oakland’s G-20 demonstrations.

While the center doesn’t expect “a stampede” of students, it’s possible more people will begin to seek counseling, said James Cox, director of the University Counseling Center.

According to a virtual pamphlet on the Counseling Center’s website, students might experience strong feelings of shock, fear, helplessness and guilt after disturbances like last month’s G-20 demonstrations. Some might struggle to sleep because of nightmares or other disturbing dreams. Others might experience strong reactions to things that remind them of the event.

“We’re not being flooded with students,” Cox said. “But this thing might not happen right away.”

Cox said he couldn’t predict when students might experience those emotions.

“Outcomes would vary depending on the individual,” he said. “I can’t give you specifics. I can’t tell you specifically when it might happen or what the outcomes may be. It’s not a cookie-cutter thing.”

The Counseling Center hosted an event in the Union’s lower lounge last night to advise students on how to cope with traumatic events. Cox said the event was anticipatory.

“This is being done on a preventative basis, not a reactionary one,” he said.

Cox said that while some students had visited the Counseling Center since the G-20, they were not anticipating a large crowd.

“We came up with this idea to make sure everyone knows about our services and can utilize our services,” he said. “Symptoms often reveal themselves over time.”

Pitt student Tracey Hickey was arrested for failure to disperse during a G-20 demonstration. She said she’d been holding the door to Towers Lobby open shortly before she was arrested, hoping to help people disperse.

Hickey said she felt anxious and had trouble sleeping in the immediate aftermath of the demonstrations.

“It was a very stressful time, there was lots of uncertainty,” Hickey said. “I heard that I would be facing everything from expulsion to having my charges dropped.”

Hickey said she’s feeling better now, largely because she got support from her parents and fellow students.

Hickey did not seek counseling and said she does not plan to in the future. She said she is not aware of what aid the counseling center is offering to students.

“I haven’t seen anything, aside from them handing out their phone numbers,” Hickey said. Cox said the center has been advertising in The Pitt News.

The overall experience left Hickey with distrust for the police.

“I wouldn’t say that I’m going to hate the police from now on, but I now know they might not always be there to help us,” Hickey said. “Now if I see riot gear, I’m going to want to run in the other direction.”

City police spokeswoman Diane Richard said in an e-mail, “I have no statement in regard to how an individual should feel. They are entitled to their feelings. However, the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police will continue to serve and protect the citizens of the City of Pittsburgh.”

She added, “If an officer is in riot gear, there would obviously be a situation that warranted the activity for which he/she is dressed. Riot gear is meant to repel a crowd, not to draw one.