“I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” offensive, hysterical

By Kieran Layton

“I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell”

Starring: Matt Czuchry, Jesse Bradford

Director: Bob… “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell”

Starring: Matt Czuchry, Jesse Bradford

Director: Bob Gosse

Studio: Darko Entertainment

Grade: A-

His comments are outrageously offensive, his lack of any remnant of morality shocking and his stories too ridiculous to be anything but true.

Yes, Tucker Max is an a**hole, but damn, he is hilarious — and so is the latest movie based on his immensely popular work of d*ck-lit “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.”

If you’ve read the book or Max’s blog, or even heard about it from a friend, you know what you’re getting into with the film.

If you haven’t, though, ask yourself these questions: Am I easily offended? Do I often laugh at the expense of others? How do I feel about long exposition of a story involving intercourse with a handicapped person?

If you have even the smallest amount of morals, it’s likely that you’ll be offended at one point or another during the film, but the beauty of it is that the offensive remarks are pulled off with such wit and brevity, you can’t knock Max for doing what he does best.

The film’s plot is flimsy at best and practically nonexistent at worst — but it’s irrelevant. Think “The Hangover” in Texas — sort of.

The audience’s capacity to enjoy the film lies not within its technical merits, but rather solely in the well-written script.

What should be “American Pie”-style humor is elevated to a level of wit appropriate to the articulate and intelligent characters involved — Max and his friends are in law school.

Watch the film with the knowledge that Max is a widely despised, but equally hailed, person, and don’t expect anything Oscar-worthy.

Be prepared, however, to leave the theater with your side hurting from too much laughter and the knowledge that if you are destined for hell, at least you’ll have amusing company — and maybe a beer, too.