Letter to the Editor 9/22

By Joshua Henschel

To the Editor,

In reference to Evan Burgos’ article, “Jealousy is no reason to hate,”… To the Editor,

In reference to Evan Burgos’ article, “Jealousy is no reason to hate,” Burgos’s views on sports might be slightly skewed from the rest of the sports society. He was correct in that the Bills and Patriots game was great, and Tom Brady did have a good game.

But is Tom Brady good? Yes. Do I have to like him because of it? No.

So the statement, “If you were a true sports fan, you’d love the guy,” might be off. Saying that all NFL fans should “have rooted for the Pats to complete their perfect season a couple years ago,” is over the edge.

Sorry, Burgos. Not everyone is a Pats fan. We all have our own team for whom we root, and for all we care, every other team can go to hell.

Another reason a lot of NFL fans might be disgruntled with the Pats has nothing to do with jealousy — rather, it’s because Bill Belichick got a bit too excited with the record button.

So why should we root for the other guy?

Burgos asked, “What is the basis for abhorring winning teams and players?” Well, it’s probably because they weren’t our winning team, or our winning players.

What would be the point of sports if we always cheered for the winning team? We might as well make rings for every team in the league — that way, everybody can be a winner.

Sure, we can admit that they played well, but that doesn’t change the fact that we hate them.

Try going Downtown — let alone on game night — and asking people to cheer for the Pats or say a few negative things about the Steelers. You might find yourself with a hefty therapist bill and a trip to the orthodontist.

So cheer for the Pats all you want, Evan, but don’t be upset if you don’t see any red, white and blue No. 12 jerseys in Pittsburgh on a Steelers football night.

Joshua Henschel

Arts & Sciences