Business as usual for Oakland hotels during Summit

By Erin Block

Oakland hotel managers say they’re some of the few people in the city experiencing business as… Oakland hotel managers say they’re some of the few people in the city experiencing business as usual this week.

Managers at the Holiday Inn University Center, Wyndham Hotel and Hampton Inn said they’re booked for the G-20 Summit, but no more than they are on a usual weekend.

The difference, they said, is hotels are charging more for people to stay in Oakland because supply is low and demand is high.

When it comes to whether the protesters can stay in their facilities, the hotels adopted a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

Jeff Katchen, general manager of the Hampton Inn, said, “It’s a free country.”

Oakland’s Holiday Inn would be respectful of guests regardless of their political views, said Josh Stanson, the hotel’s front office manager.

“Everybody’s green spends,” he said.

Stanson said his hotel is facing the “same level of volume” it usually does, meaning it’s between 90 and 100 percent booked. The hotel typically attracts business travelers and people visiting nearby universities and hospitals, he said. Pittsburgh sporting events also bring a lot of business to the hotels.

However, the Holiday Inn warned its regular guests that they might need to find other places to stay because of the excitement of the G-20. The hotel is booked with the exception of a few rooms and will host guests with a specific G-20 agenda this week.

Stanson declined to say how his guests are related to the G-20 Summit.

The Wyndham Hotel and the Hampton Inn exhibit similar booking trends. These establishments are booking an amount of rooms comparable to previous years during this time. None of the hotels hired or scheduled extra staff.

Although the hotels say they won’t hire more people, they will raise their rates for the nights of the conference.

“It’s supply and demand,” Stanson said.

A double bed room at the Wyndham Hotel that costs $279 today costs $143.10 on Thursday, Oct. 1. At the University Club Holiday Inn, a double bed room goes for $249.95 today and $159.95 the week after. The rate for a room with one queen-sized bed at the Hampton Inn costs $279 for Thursday, Sept. 24 and $129 the same day next week.

Managers at the local hotels compared the Summit rate increases to ones during Pitt’s graduation or homecoming weekends.

Steve Mitchell, general manager of the Wyndham Hotel, after noting that the hotel is completely booked, said his hotel rates escalated to stay competitive and in line with hotels in their category.

Katchen said his rates were considerably higher this week. He’s raised them to the mid-$200 range, if not higher.

The managers also said they will emphasize safety during the conference.

Mitchell said the Wyndham Hotel is taking precautions, but would not comment on what was being done specifically.

Katchen did comment and responded with “security guards” and “there will be people around.”