Football: Freshman Mason named conference defensive player of the week

By Jay Huerbin

In his first collegiate start, Pitt freshman Dan Mason was named the Big East defensive player… In his first collegiate start, Pitt freshman Dan Mason was named the Big East defensive player of the week.

His 11 tackles and two sacks paced the Panthers (3-0) during their 27-14 victory over Navy on Saturday. Mason, a Pittsburgh native from Penn Hills, is one of four true freshmen listed on Pitt’s two-deep roster.

His teammates noticed his strong effort.

“He’s a young guy, but he didn’t act like it,” defensive end Greg Romeus said after the game.

In three games, Mason is third on the team with 16 tackles and two sacks.

As Pitt’s middle linebacker, Mason anchored the defense against Navy’s triple-option attack — a type of running play in which the quarterback can hand off to the fullback, pitch to the running back or keep the ball before pitching it to the running back.

Mason took the starting job after a left ankle sprain held senior Adam Gunn out of the game.

Gunn was named conference defensive player of the week last week for his 11-tackle effort in Buffalo on Sept. 12. The date of his return to the team is unknown.

Pitt’s defensive presence held the Midshipmen (1-2), the nation’s top rushing team for the past four years, to 129 yards rushing. Navy’s performance this year was more than 100 yards below its average.

The Panthers will take on NC State (2-1) Saturday at 3:30 p.m. They defeated the Wolfpack 34-19 in the 2001 Tangerine Bowl, but this will be the team’s first trip to Raleigh since 1988.