Men’s soccer: In his 26th season, Luxbacher still eyes Big East title

By Ben Duignan

In 1984, Joe Luxbacher was given the position of head coach of the Pitt men’s soccer team,… In 1984, Joe Luxbacher was given the position of head coach of the Pitt men’s soccer team, becoming only the second head coach in the program’s history. To date, the men’s soccer team has still only seen two head coaches in its 54-year history.

This season marks Luxbacker’s 26th with the Panthers. The two-time Big East Coach of the Year will continue to add to an already impressive career that includes six 10-plus victory campaigns and eight Big East tournament appearances.

Before taking over as head coach, Luxbacher set the standard for individual scoring as a Panther player. From 1970-73, he established four school records at Pitt, including most goals in a game (seven), most points in a game (15), most career goals (37) and most career points (84).

After graduating from Pitt in 1974, Luxbacher began his professional soccer career. He played two seasons in the North American Soccer League for the Philadelphia Atoms before joining a team that toured Europe.

Even though Luxbacher was fortunate enough to play soccer professionally, it was his illustrious career as a player for Pitt that helped fuel his aspiration to coach the sport.

While he admits that playing soccer is his true passion, the realm of coaching has allowed Luxbacher to continue to be around the game he enjoys so much.

“I love the sport, I love to play, and coaching is an extension of that,” Luxbacher said. “I love working with young men, developing their skills and passion for the game.”

Luxbacher believes that while he is privileged to work with his players on the field, as a coach he is part of something much greater.

“To me, soccer is a bunch of guys who share a common passion for the sport,” Luxbacher said. “That builds the foundation for a big soccer community that stays connected.”

The head coach stands at the center of the Pitt soccer community. Luxbacher acknowledges his role as the leader of that community and his responsibility to guide the soccer team into the future.

“We’re trying to get this program moving forward,” Luxbacher said. “We’ve had some good years in the past, but we’re trying to sustain that.”

Arguably, the soccer team’s most successful season was in 2000 when Pitt was ranked as high as No. 7 in the nation. The Panthers haven’t seen a 10-win season since then, but Luxbacher thinks the future is bright for the program.

Pitt will introduce a new athletic facility in 2010, which will provide a state-of-the-art home for the soccer team. Luxbacher believes the complex will provide a giant step for recruiting and the program overall.

“The new facility is going to be a huge boost for us,” he said. “When recruits come in and see the new complex, it will undoubtedly be a deciding factor in their decision.”

He cites increasingly competitive recruiting as one of the challenges he faces on a daily basis.

“Recruiting is even more important today because there are just so many good players out there,” Luxbacher said. “Recruiting requires a lot of time and dedication if you want to stay competitive in the Big East.”

After 26 years of coaching soccer, Luxbacher acknowledges that his position isn’t what it used to be.

“Coaching has changed a lot,” Luxbacher said. “A large portion of the profession doesn’t take place on the field. You’re being stretched more ways as a coach. You never really get away from the job, it can be consuming.”

Luxbacher is making sure he’s adjusting to the new world of coaching soccer. The one thing that isn’t changing is the goal for his team.

“Our goal is simple,” Luxbacher said. “We want to win a Big East championship.”

That’s something that’s remained unchanged for 26 years.