Football Notebook: Secondary readies for tough test

By Kyle Craig

Secondary Thoughts

A game against Navy’s triple-option can make people forget about a… Secondary Thoughts

A game against Navy’s triple-option can make people forget about a secondary’s trouble defending the pass. Now, as Pitt prepares for North Carolina State, the questions raised about the secondary after the Buffalo game have resurfaced.

North Carolina State’s quarterback, Russell Wilson, has enough skill to make any defensive backfield nervous.

Last week, Wilson, a redshirt sophomore, set the NCAA Division I record for pass attempts without an interception. He has not thrown an interception since Sept. 13, 2008. At the 12-game mark, he has 329 throws without a single pick.

For his 2008 performance, Wilson was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team, making him the only freshman to ever receive the honor. Three games into this season, Wilson has completed 66.2 percent of his passes and has tossed eight touchdowns.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt is aware of Wilson’s ability to manage an offense and limit mistakes.

“[Wilson] understands what wins and loses football games. He’ll take what the defense gives him,” Wannstedt said. “He makes good decisions, and when the ball comes out, it comes out fast. He’s got a very quick release.”

In addition to his ability to distribute the football, Wilson can also makes plays with his feet. Last year, he rushed for 394 yards and four touchdowns.

Wilson’s skill set will present a test for a Pitt defense that allowed Buffalo sophomore quarterback Zach Maynard to throw for 400 yards two weeks ago.

Sack Lunch

If the Panthers hope to halt Wilson’s productivity, they will need to apply pressure on the signal caller.

Through the early portion of the season, the Pitt defense has harassed quarterbacks very successfully. Pitt has amassed 15 sacks in the past three weeks. That average of five sacks per game leads the Big East and is tied for second best nationwide.

Baldwin Emerging

Saturday’s contest against Navy marked the first time receiver Jonathan Baldwin gained more than 100 yards through the air this season.

Baldwin is considered by many to be Pitt’s most dynamic receiving threat. Yet in three games he has only 13 receptions and zero touchdowns.

Wannstedt told reporters on Monday that the offense will continue to look for ways to get Baldwin the football.

“We’re starting to do more things with him, You see some of the different routes. Last year it was more of just the take-offs on the outside and deep balls,” Wannstedt said. “We’re trying to get him involved in the passing game more, but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves.”

Wannstedt also noted that the attention defenses give Baldwin creates opportunities for other players, like Dorin Dickerson, who has 13 receptions and four touchdowns, or Oderick Turner, who has nine receptions and one score.

“A lot of the time [Baldwin’s] going to have two guys on him,” Wannstedt said. “That’s part of the deal when they respect you.”