Women’s basketball: Panthers release schedule, will host national champion Connecticut

By Jay Huerbin

The Pitt women’s basketball team released its upcoming schedule, which is highlighted by 15… The Pitt women’s basketball team released its upcoming schedule, which is highlighted by 15 teams that made it to the postseason last year.

The Panthers will open their season in November, playing six consecutive games at the Petersen Events Center. They have an exhibition game against Seton Hill on Nov. 10 before starting the regular season as they host North Florida on Nov. 17.

The women will also take on Florida — which finished last season ranked No. 23 — in November and take part in the annual Thanksgiving Tournament against Miami (Ohio), Appalachian State and Marshall.

The first road game of the season comes on Dec. 2 when Pitt travels to Youngstown St. The rest of the month features games at Penn State on Dec. 17 and at home against cross-town rival Duquesne on Dec. 29.

Big East play starts up in the new year when the Panthers head to Marquette on Jan. 2 and rival West Virginia on Jan. 5. Their first conference home game comes on Jan. 10 against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights — a Sweet 16 team last season. A week later, the Panthers play host to the Mountaineers.

The toughest game of the season could come at the end of the month, when defending national champion Connecticut comes to the Pete on Jan. 30.

February showcases games at Notre Dame, an NCAA Tournament team last year, on Feb. 6 before hosting Georgetown (Feb. 10) and last year’s national runner-up Louisville (Feb. 14).

The Panthers will end the regular season and conference play with three of their last five games on the road. Seton Hall (Feb. 20) and St. John’s (March 1) come to Pittsburgh, and the Panthers will travel to Villanova on Feb. 17, DePaul on Feb. 23 and Cincinnati on Feb. 27.

The Big East tournament will take place in Connecticut from March 6-10. Pitt will host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament from March 21-23.