Volleyball: Dooley, Town leading Panthers with stellar play

By Kyle Craig

With 10 of its first 11 contests on the road and four new starters in the lineup, the Pitt… With 10 of its first 11 contests on the road and four new starters in the lineup, the Pitt women’s volleyball team was in need of veteran leadership and offensive firepower. Senior Meagan Dooley and junior Amy Town answered the call.

Dooley and Town have provided Pitt with the scoring ability and the in-game experience needed to compete with the high level of competition the Panthers face.

“We have a lot of new starters this year and I think it is my responsibility to provide leadership on the court during tough situations that people may not have been through before,” Dooley said.

The effect of Dooley’s presence is something that hasn’t gone unnoticed by Pitt coach Toby Rens or Town.

“Meagan has been a four-year starter and that game experience is invaluable, especially to a young team,” Rens said. “[Dooley] provides a lot of stability and poise on the court.”

“Dooley is one of my favorite people to play with,” Town said. “It’s a noticeable change when she comes on the court because she brings this focus and determination. She wants to win every single point.”

According to Rens, Dooley’s consistency makes her an excellent role model for her teammates.

“[Dooley] has come through in so many clutch situations in the past, and this year I think she’s brought it to a different level as a senior,” Rens said. “She becomes a great example for everyone because she just gets the job done every day.”

Through the first 11 matches Dooley, a middle hitter, has racked 148 kills, a team-high 58 total blocks and nine service aces.

At the outside hitter position, Town has been transforming games with her play and attitude.

“One of the great things about [Town] is that she brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the court,” Rens said. “She’s the type of player whose teammates love being on the court with her.”

Her ability to score points and play defense has made Town a very versatile player on the outside. She has accumulated a team-best 168 kills, 76 digs and seven service aces this season. Rens indicated that Town’s effort makes the players around her better.

“[Town is] playing [her] position so well that the other people can be more effective doing their job,” Rens said

Dooley is one of those teammates who benefits from Town’s presence.

“[Town] has had a fantastic season so far and what she is bringing to the court — her big swings, defense and competitive attitude — make her incredibly fun to play with,” Dooley said.

Both players have been recognized for their efforts early in the season, as they were each named to the all-tournament teams of the Sheraton Riverside Cardinal Classic and the Nittany Lion Invitational.

“It’s such an honor,” Town said. “It’s nice to be rewarded for working hard and playing hard. It’s nice to know that people appreciate what we do.”

This past weekend, another accolade rolled in for Dooley, as she was named to the All-Comcast Challenge team.

“Being recognized at all of these tournaments is an honor because it means I’m doing my job for our team. It’s only a plus that other teams and coaches recognize this,” Dooley said.

Rens has been pleased with the performances of Dooley and Town.

“The attention that both of them received, being named to the all-tournament teams, was very well deserved,” Rens said. “They’re two of the hardest working individuals on the team.”

Despite the performances of Dooley and Town, the Panthers have lost their last five matches after beginning the year with a 5-1 record. Town attributed the team’s poor results to inadequate “mental focus.”

Rens believes that this weekend’s Pitt Blue and Gold Tournament will be an opportunity for his team to get back on the right track.

“This group plays with a lot of pride and a lot of heart, and they would love to display that again at home,” Rens said.

The Panthers will take on Valparaiso on Saturday, and they play Maryland Eastern Shore and Youngstown State on Sunday. Dooley is confident that a return to the Fitzgerald Field House will also mark a return to victory.

“With a solid week of practice we will have time to get our mental game back where it needs to be,” Dooley said. “I have no doubt that we will come back with a 3-0 [record this] weekend.”