Women’s soccer: After 4-0 start, Pitt earns first-ever national ranking

By Jay Huerbin

Thanks to an undefeated start to the season, the Pitt women’s soccer earned a national ranking… Thanks to an undefeated start to the season, the Pitt women’s soccer earned a national ranking for the first time in school history. The Panthers were ranked No. 25 by Soccer America’s weekly poll.

For coach Sue-Moy Chin, the national exposure is a nice accomplishment but acknowledged that there is still more work to be done.

“We don’t settle,” Chin said, suggesting that its still early in the season. “We don’t think we’ve arrived.”

Three other Big East teams joined Pitt in the national rankings. No. 7 Notre Dame (3-1-0), No. 11 Rutgers (4-0-1), No. 15 West Virginia (2-1-2) all placed in the poll.

The Panthers are 4-0-0 for just the second time in school history. In 2006, they opened the season with the same record, but eventually fell to 6-10-1 on the year and 2-7-1 in conference play.

The Panthers started their regular season hosting Buffalo on Aug. 21. They defeated the Bulls, 1-0, on freshman Ashley Cuba’s first career goal. The team has since played three straight games on the road. They beat Ohio State and Kent State before taking down Xavier, 3-0, yesterday.

In four games this season, the Panthers have outshot their opponents and 53-36 and outscored them 7-1. Cuba has accounted for four of the seven Panthers’ goals and has tallied nine points in the four games. In Pitt’s Sept. 4 matchup against Kent State, senior Ashley Habbel scored her 18th career goal and tied the school’s record for most all-time.

The Panthers head to Philadelphia on Friday to take on Drexel and then to No. 23 Penn State on Sunday. Pitt begins Big East play on Sept. 18 when rival West Virginia comes to Pittsburgh.

Staff writer Evan Burgos contributed to this report.