Football: Notebook: Boos, Gunn and the kicking game

By Kyle Craig

Bill Stull and Boos

Redshirt senior Bill Stull and Pitt’s quarterback situation were… Bill Stull and Boos

Redshirt senior Bill Stull and Pitt’s quarterback situation were popular topics around the football program throughout the offseason and training camp.

Now, one game and a smattering of boos later, the focus remains on the signal caller.

It didn’t take long for Stull to receive some sour feedback. Patches of fans were disgruntled after Pitt’s first offensive series of the game.

Head coach Dave Wannstedt stood by his starting quarterback’s performance when talking to the media on Tuesday.

“Managing the game, he was good, getting the plays in, [getting] in and out of the huddle [with] no delays [or] some of those crazy things that happen in early games,” Wannstedt said. “I was pleased with [Stull]. He didn’t make any major [mistakes]. It was a good start for him.”

Stull’s passing numbers don’t indicate a subpar performance. He completed 11 of 16 passes for 123 yards, while throwing two touchdowns and one interception — an interception that Wannstedt said was both Stull’s and wide receiver Cedric McGee’s error.

After Saturday’s contest, Wannstedt indicated his disappointment with Stull’s treatment on his home field. Tuesday, Wannstedt said Stull did “extremely well” while handling a difficult situation.

“I think he’s been very honest with what he’s trying to do and his approach,” Wannstedt said. “He’s worked extremely hard all summer and all camp. He’s doing the best that he can do. That’s what you expect of him.”

Wannstedt also said he plans to give redshirt freshman Tino Sunseri more opportunities to gain experience during Pitt’s trip to Buffalo. Sunseri went 5-8 for 80 yards and tossed a touchdown pass to Aundre Wright after getting an opportunity to play in the second half against Youngstown State.

One thing is certain: Both Stull and Sunseri will get a negative reaction from stadium-goers this Saturday regardless of their performances.

The Gunn Show

Replacing All-American middle linebacker Scott McKillop can seem a daunting task, but it’s not the most testing circumstance that sixth-year senior Adam Gunn has had to deal with this season.

When Gunn took the field against Youngstown State on Saturday, it was the first action he had seen since suffering a broken neck during last year’s season-opening loss to Bowling Green.

With a titanium plate supporting his rehabilitated neck, Gunn made a game-high eight tackles and two sacks for the Panthers.

The effort was enough to earn Gunn the coaching staff’s Defensive Player of the Game award.

Dual Threat

It’s difficult to find the type of consistency in the kicking game that kicker Conor Lee and punter Dave Brytus provided the Panthers last year.

The responsibility of replacing both of those players has fallen on redshirt junior Dan Hutchins’ shoulders.

Hutchins converted all five of his PAT attempts and connected on a 26-yard field goal. He also punted the ball three times for an average of 47 yards.

Pitt’s coaching staff named Hutchins the special teams’ player of the game for his double duty against Youngstown State.