Basketball: Gibbs, Taylor try out for Dixon-coached national team

By Jay Huerbin

Two Pitt men’s basketball players will have the opportunity to try out for the USA Basketball… Two Pitt men’s basketball players will have the opportunity to try out for the USA Basketball Men’s Under-19 National Team coached by Pitt coach Jamie Dixon. The organization invited sophomore guard Ashton Gibbs and incoming freshman forward Dante Taylor to the trials.

Gibbs, who led the Big East in 3-point field goal percentage (.439), played in 35 games during the 2008-09 season. He averaged 4.3 points per game and reached double digits in points in six games.

Taylor will begin his freshman year this fall. After his senior season in high school in which he averaged 23.8 points and 13 rebounds per game, Taylor earned a McDonald’s High School All-America honors. He is the fifth Pitt recruit to receive the honor.

Tryouts for the team started yesterday in Colorado Springs, Colo., and will continue until June 18. The roster will be announced shortly after trials, as training camp for the team starts on June 19.

Gibbs and Taylor are among 17 players invited to the trials. Dixon and the final 12-man roster leave for New Zealand on June 25 for the FIBA Under-19 World Championships. The event takes place from July 2 to 12 in Auckland, New Zealand.