Football: Gunn’s arrest leads to suspension

By Jay Huerbin

Pitt linebacker Adam Gunn was suspended from the team on May 13 for an off-field… Pitt linebacker Adam Gunn was suspended from the team on May 13 for an off-field incident.

Gunn was arrested and arraigned by the Pittsburgh police on May 10, according to court documents. He was charged with two misdemeanor offenses — for resisting arrest and failure to disperse — and two summary offenses — for disorderly conduct and public drunkenness.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt made the announcement in a statement released through Pitt’s athletic department.

“On [May 11], I met with Adam Gunn to discuss his involvement in a weekend incident that occurred off campus,” Wannstedt said. “At the conclusion of our discussion, I told Adam he would be suspended from our team pending the resolution of this matter.”

Gunn and former Pitt linebacker Austin Ransom were involved in an incident on May 10 outside Club Zen in Station Square, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The Post-Gazette also reported that both players were intoxicated and Gunn was Tasered after failing to leave the scene.

“This incident is both surprising and disappointing,” read Wannstedt’s statement. “Adam has always been a strong representative of our program and his involvement in this type of situation is very out of character. However, he knows and respects the fact that every member of our team must be accountable for their actions.”

Gunn’s preliminary hearing was originally scheduled for May 14, but was rescheduled for May 21.

Gunn was a fifth-year senior last season. He was injured in the first game against Bowling Green, but was awarded a sixth year of eligibility. His 59 tackles in 2007 were the third best on the team.

He graduated in 2008 with a degree in communication and rhetoric and is currently enrolled in Pitt’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.

Gunn is the fourth football player to run into trouble during the past month. Receiver T.J. Porter and defensive lineman Tommie Duhart were suspended from the team last month and announced that they would transfer from Pitt. Sophomore receiver Jonathan Baldwin was arrested April 19, but no disciplinary action by the football has taken place.