Gunn glad to be back after injury

By Kyle Craig

As Adam Gunn watched Pitt football’s first intra-squad scrimmage from the sideline, he… As Adam Gunn watched Pitt football’s first intra-squad scrimmage from the sideline, he stood aware of the task ahead of him.

Last season, Gunn was forced to watch his team play while being uncertain of his own future. Now, after being granted a sixth year of eligibility, he is on a mission to lead the Panthers’ defense next fall.

During Pitt’s season-opening defeat to Bowling Green last year, Gunn and fellow linebacker Scott McKillop crashed into each other. For Gunn, the result of the collision was a broken neck and a lost season.

Seven months later, a titanium plate covers the once-broken vertebra and, after a lengthy rehabilitation program, Gunn is delighted to practice with his teammates again.

‘It’s great being back because I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to be able to play football again,’ said Gunn. ‘Coming off such a serious injury, just to be out there and running around is a great feeling.’

Gunn has been active so far in spring camp but is restricted from participating in full-speed contact drills. While he awaits his opportunity to hit in the summer, Gunn is using the spring to get back into the swing of things physically.

‘I thought I’d be a little more rusty than what I was,’ said the Vandergrift, Pa., native. ‘To be honest, I really did jump right back in, and I’m feeling pretty good.’

Now that Gunn is practicing with the team again, his top priority is to learn a new position. This year, he will attempt to fill the void left by the graduation of the All-American McKillop at middle linebacker.

‘It’s going to be hard to replace [McKillop]. He was such a great player,’ said Gunn. ‘At the same time, it’s on me to make sure we don’t miss a beat.’

While starting at strong-side linebacker in 2007, Gunn amassed 59 total tackles. With the prospect of replacing an All-American looming in front of him, Gunn isn’t shirking the task at hand.

‘It’s on me to step into that position and take over for him and lead the team the way he did for the past two years,’ said the 22-year-old linebacker. ‘I’m really taking full responsibility of that, and hopefully it all works out.’

McKillop led the nation in total tackles in 2007 and was third in the nation in solo tackles in 2008. However, Gunn isn’t only attempting to replace McKillop’s production. He is making a concentrated effort to become a team leader by using his experience to everyone’s advantage.

‘I love being out there with the guys, and now it’s my role as a sixth-year senior leader to step up and take the guys in the right direction,’ said Gunn.

Despite the graduation of a few key players on the defense, Gunn still expects his unit to be the backbone of the team. He is willing to put the fate of the Panthers on the shoulders of the defensive squad.

‘Defense wins games. With the great guys we’ve had on our defense like McKillop, Austin [Ransom] and Rashaad Duncan, replacing those guys is going to be tough but it’s really on us. We take full responsibility [for] the wins and losses.’

Before he can worry about Pitt’s record in 2009, Gunn needs be concerned about how his repaired neck will respond to violent contact. Like most athletes recovering from major surgery, he is waiting for that first significant hit to let him know that he’s going to be alright.

‘I’m definitely just ready to get it over with,’ he said. ‘After you get that first hit, you stop thinking about it. Just to get that first hit out of the way would be great.’

That hit won’t come until the summer. For now, Gunn is making sure his body is fit, his mind is prepared and his leadership is felt. And it’s only a matter of time before Gunn steps off the sideline and back into the game he loves so much.