Collins hopes to fill many roles as NFL running back

By Kyle Craig

For three seasons, Conredge Collins did the dirty work for the Pitt offense at the fullback… For three seasons, Conredge Collins did the dirty work for the Pitt offense at the fullback position. In less than two weeks during the NFL Draft, Collins hopes that work will pay off.

While his large build and powerful running style are ideal for a fullback, his shiftiness and lateral movement make him a noteworthy threat in the open field. His physical tools, along with his experience, have scouts projecting Collins as a NFL-caliber player.

Multiple talent evaluation Web sites and ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. list the 6-foot, 230-pound back among the top five fullbacks available to be drafted. However, Collins knows that nothing is guaranteed, so he’s trying to keep a level head.

‘It’s something you can’t expect. I think that you can get too wound up if you try to think about it because you usually don’t know until that day,’ said Collins in regards to being drafted. ‘You’ve got a lot of people asking you, but you really don’t know until everyone else knows.’

Last season, Collins carried the ball 21 times and made nine receptions out of the backfield. His career statistics of 335 rushing yards and 37 receptions weren’t overwhelming, but his value to his team was unquestionable.

In numerous situations, Collins was called upon to make crucial lead blocks and gain tough yardage in between the tackles. Despite not having a collection of long ‘highlight-reel’ runs on his resume, Collins has proven to be a reliable component of a pro-style offense.

After getting the opportunity to carry the ball out of some single-back formations this season, Collins feels he’s distinguished himself from similar backs that also entered this year’s Draft.

‘I got to show my versatility this year, so, that’s always a plus,’ said Collins. ‘I think I should stand out a little bit more than other guys.’

One attribute that Collins believes he’s shown throughout his college career is his ability to fill multiple roles in the backfield.

‘ ‘I can play running back, catch the ball out in the flat as a fullback and make key blocks for [another] back when I need to,’ said Collins.

On the next level, Collins also hopes to get an opportunity to be utilized more as a feature back. However, regardless of the number of carries he gets, Collins said that he’s content as long as he’s helping his team be successful.

‘I’m the new-school definition of a complete back. I can do whatever it is you need to be done in the backfield,’ said Collins. ‘As long as I’m on the field and I’m playing, I’m happy.’

Having a head coach like Dave Wannstedt, who has a wealth of experience at the professional level, has been an asset to Collins. Wannstedt’s knowledge helped prepare the fullback for the next stage of his playing career.

‘[Coach Wannstedt’s experience] has helped me a lot because he knows the process. He’s drafted players before and he’s cut players before,’ said Collins, who is majoring in economics.

Wannstedt isn’t the only person Collins knows who has spent time in the NFL. Collins’ father, Tony Collins, is a former Pro Bowl running back who spent six seasons with the New England Patriots and one final year with the Miami Dolphins.

For Collins, his father’s last professional destination would be an ideal place for first NFL job. It would be an appropriate and welcome homecoming for the Miami, Fla., native.

‘I would love to play for the Dolphins and get to go back home for a little while,’ said the Monsignor Pace High School graduate.

If not Miami, Collins would like to go to a place where the temperature is a little higher and the weather a good deal less inclement.

‘I just want to go somewhere where it’s a nice city and it’s not too cold because [the weather] has been kind of rough up here for me the past few years,’ said Collins.

Regardless of the climate, Collins will attempt to make the most of his opportunity at his next destination. And once he’s in camp, Collins is liable to make plays regardless of whether or not the ball is in his hands.