blood, sweat and dancing

By Noah Levinson

‘ ‘ ‘ Deep-fried breadsticks, smoothies and perspiration saturated the lower level of the… ‘ ‘ ‘ Deep-fried breadsticks, smoothies and perspiration saturated the lower level of the William Pitt Union. The perspiration didn’t come from the Schenley Cafe, but from outside the cafe, next to speakers blaring house and techno remixes of Fur Elise. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The sweat came from a group of Pitt heroes who fearlessly put their talents on the line, or rather, their moves on the dance floor. Two brave souls stepped up to the intimidating, steel machine with determination in their eyes and a groove in their toes. They cracked their wrists, stretched their quads and cleared their minds, because for two minutes and 32 seconds they weren’t just students anymore ‘mdash; they were dance gods. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ An underground following, rather, a pseudo fight club, is showing its face at Pitt. Students and graduates alike come to the Union lower level to play the dance video game, ‘In The Groove 2.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ But every fight club has its controversies and history. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The music video game industry owes its existence to the creation of ‘Dance Dance Revolution.’ Created in 1998 by video game developer and publisher Konami, DDR instantly became a staple of popular culture. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ As the game grew in popularity at arcades, users demanded more privacy in getting their moves on. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s becoming the genre-defining game,’ said Brandon Cox, senior public relations manager of Konami. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Since its invention, Konami has released 10 versions of DDR. Its latest evolution, ‘DDR X,’ is already available on home video game consoles and will soon be available as an arcade version. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We wanted to provide the same experience on a console in someone’s home. That way people who want to have a more intimate gaming experience can,’ said Cox. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The dance game in the lower level of the Union, surprisingly, is not the popular DDR. Pitt students instead dance to ‘In The Groove 2,’ a modification of the DDR series. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Arguments arise between DDR and ITG fans that one machine has better songs or an easier layout. But dance video-gamers of all beliefs usually agree that ITG is for those who want to step up their dance skills. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Beats per minute define song speeds in both games. While DDR’s fastest song is 300 bpm, ITG flashes an awesome maximum speed of 600 bpm, advertising to hardcore players and people not afraid of intense dance-play. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Almost all ITG machines have a metal safety bar behind the dance pads to catch dancers who’ve just had too much to handle. But to the more competitive, the bar causes extreme controversy, especially between Pitt dancers and Carnegie Mellon University dancers. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We have some derogatory terms for it, but you basically lean back and hold on to the bar to move your feet quicker,’ said Pitt junior Jon Hogue. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ While holding the bar helps dancers maintain balance and use less stamina, Pitt students refuse to utilize the bar. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We at Pitt take pride in not using the bar. Pitt players try to get to the level of CMU players without the bar to show them up,’ said Hogue. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ But CMU’s Philip Shirey believes that the bar is fair game in the competitive world of ITG. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Anyone who plays the game on a competitive level uses the bar,’ said Shirey. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ But when coming to Pitt’s campus, hardcore Pitt ITG followers said to keep your hands off the bar at all times. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We don’t mind if you use the machine, but there’s an unspoken rule: If you use the bar, then don’t use our machine and save a record,’ said Hogue, referring to high score spaces ‘mdash; digital trophies for which players fight. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The controversy didn’t elicit much violence from the conflicting groups ‘mdash; perhaps a shin kick once or twice ‘mdash; but both Pitt and CMU followers agreed that it’s all about having fun. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Hogue, a computer science major, was introduced to DDR in high school by his friends, but when he came to Pitt, he noticed the ITG machine in the Union’s lower level. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With help from more friends and constant practice, Hogue adjusted to the ITG machine and soon became one of the best players at Pitt. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ITG machines rank their players’ high scores on each individual song with three- to four-letter and number tag names. Hogue’s tag name is JN3H. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Ranking is an important part of Pitt’s ITG culture. Rebellions, revolutions and tyrannies have all appeared at some time on the ITG dance floor hall of fame. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The top score for most ITG songs belongs to 2007 Pitt graduate Chris Coffey. Coffey originally had another tag name, CLC, but according to Hogue, Coffey wanted to leave the ITG scene long enough so he could come back and reclaim his records. Returning to the ITG scene, Coffey changed his tag name to CLC2, the ‘2’ signifying his comeback. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Even as Pitt ITG players graduate, take breaks and move on to different pursuits, new people always join in on the dancing extravaganza. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ CMU takes ITG competition to a whole different level. In the basement of the University Center, CMU junior Phil Shirey, a computer science major, rocks out whenever he has free time. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Most of the people I know take it much more seriously and play it on a competitive level,’ said Shirey. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Shirey competes in tournaments in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I met a lot of people and made a lot of friends,’ he said. ‘It’s just a good way to hang out with people.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Shirey now plays ITG mostly for fun, but he ranks fairly high on the ITG scoreboards at Carnegie Mellon and is well known in the ITG community. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I play to get better, but also for fun,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Many CMU students who play ITG and come to the Union to try out the machine have their criticisms. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Our machine is in much better condition,’ said Shirey. ‘It has a much wider song selection, additional extra game-play options and pads that are more responsive.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Machine condition won’t incite fights between the two groups of Pitt and CMU ITG followers, but that doesn’t mean they agree on all dance philosophies. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘As a whole unit, they got skills,’ said Pitt freshman Sean Maniuszko, an architectural studies major. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Maniuszko sees the ITG followers in the Union frequently and said he always feels amazed at every step, kick and hit. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I go to sleep at night wishing I could do what they do,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt sophomore Cody Wines, a pre-law and political science double major, agreed. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It takes talent to play in public,’ said Wines. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Both students were familiar with ITG and dance video games, but they’re far from experts. After trying to show their skills for The Pitt News, Maniuszko and Wines truly appreciated the complexity and talent required of ITG’s users. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It was really hard to try to coordinate the movements to the screen,’ said Wines. ‘I thought it was the left one and then it was the up one. I definitely admire the people that can pull it off.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Just because Maniuszko and Wines, combined, didn’t complete 2 percent of the songs they played, it doesn’t mean they won’t be back on the pads. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I think I should practice on my own terms, maybe in private,’ said Wines. ‘If I get good, I might make an appearance.’