Seniors honored in rout of St. John’s

By Emily Steiner

For a while in the first half against St. John’s, it looked like next year’s Pitt women’s… For a while in the first half against St. John’s, it looked like next year’s Pitt women’s basketball team was playing. Seniors Shavonte Zellous and Xenia Stewart didn’t score much compared to their undergraduate colleagues, as Zellous put up six and Stewart seven points in the first half. But on senior night at the Petersen Events Center, Zellous came back in the second half, as she often does, and ended up leading the Panthers with 18 points and three rebounds. Her regular season ended on a usual high note as Pitt sent the Red Storm to its 12th loss in 15 games, 79-60. ‘Our senior night and playing for the University of Pittsburgh has been truly a blessing,’ said Zellous after the game. ‘I just have to thank my teammates. I love them to death. They’re like my sisters. I’m really going to miss the University of Pittsburgh.’ Prior to the game, Zellous and Stewart were honored by coach Agnus Berenato, Chancellor Mark Nordenberg, their parents and others with flowers, framed jerseys, pictures and videos played before the crowd. In their four years of play, the two managed to lead the team to four 20-win seasons and the team’s first three NCAA Tournament appearances. This season, Zellous became the first basketball player in Pitt history, man or woman, to score 600 or more points in three seasons. Additionally, after the win, No. 14 Pitt (22-6, 12-4 Big East) enters the Big East tournament with its best-ever conference winning percentage at .750. No one player dominated in scoring against the Red Storm (16-13, 4-12) in the first half. Freshman Shawnice ‘Pepper’ Wilson pulled down more rebounds than anyone on either team, with seven in the first 20 minutes. Wilson left the game early, playing only 25 minutes after committing four fouls, but in those minutes she put up 12 points and brought down 11 rebounds. The Panthers led for the entire first half, with St. John’s coming within one midway through the half. Wilson started scoring for the Panthers and got the first rebound off a missed St. John’s shot. Junior Sophronia Sallard scored next and got Pitt an early 4-0 lead. St. John’s Sky Lindsay led her team within reach of the lead at 12-11, but Sallard and Zellous pushed the score to 18-15 before starting a 10-0 scoring run. During the run, five different Panthers shared the scoring. After that, the Panthers held at least a 10-point advantage for the remainder of the half, with Sallard and Wilson leading the way. Sallard ended the game with 10 points, eight of which came in the first half. The score was 43-30 with Pitt leading at the half. The Panthers held their substantial lead throughout the remainder of the game, going up by as many as 28 in the middle of the second half. The seniors stayed in the game for all but a few minutes and were taken out with two minutes left to play. Stewart ended her home career scoring 12 points and bringing down five rebounds. ‘The important thing is that we played as a family,’ said Stewart. ‘[Zellous and I] are glad to be a part of [Pitt women’s basketball], but the story hasn’t ended yet. See us in the Final Four.’ Pitt will travel to Hartford, Conn., as the Big East tournament begins on Friday. With a No. 3 seed, the team earned a first- and second-round bye, and will face either the sixth, 11th or 14th seed in the quarterfinals at 8 p.m. on Sunday.